Port Angeles to mull transformer purchase for zapped substation

PORT ANGELES — The Port Angeles City Council will hear tonight a recommendation to buy a new electrical transformer for $577,718 to restore service from the Washington Street substation.

The substation was shut down by a transmission-line lightning strike

July 13.

Power was quickly rerouted to the 900 northeast Port Angeles customers served by the substation near Civic Field.

But earlier this month, the City Council, looking ahead to peak winter demand, unanimously ratified an emergency declaration signed by City Manager Dan McKeen to expedite purchase or replacement of the transformer without competitive bidding.

The substation accounts for 14 percent of the system’s capacity and is critical for providing power to northeast Port Angeles, including Olympic Medical Center and the city’s wastewater treatment plant, Public Works & Utilities Director Glenn Cutler has said.

Cutler will present a recommendation for buying a new transformer for the substation when the council meets at 6 p.m. in its chambers at City Hall, 321 E. Fifth St.

The 12 megavolt-amperes — or MVA — transformer would be purchased from Virginia Transformer Co.

Estimated delivery time would be 18 weeks, according to Cutler’s memo to the City Council.

The recommendation is one of three options. The other two are to rebuild the existing transformer or buy a used one.

Rebuilding the transformer would cost nearly as much as buying a new one, Cutler said in the memo.

Only one used transformer was found, and it comes with risks that “do not justify the savings in time and delivery,” Cutler said.

Additional costs are anticipated for setup and temporary backup provisions, Cutler said, adding that most costs are expected to be covered by insurance.

More in News

Sheriffs oppose Senate proposal

Bill would give powers to unelected commission

Public hearing set for options on how to honor Justice Owens

Courthouse or courtroom may be renamed for longtime county, state judge

Port Hadlock housing awarded grants

Funds to help keep project on schedule

Welcome Back Coho event set Thursday

Attendees encouraged to wear red-and-white tops to celebration

The Port Angeles Parks, Recreation and Facilities Commission will discuss design options for the Laurel Street stairs on Thursday.
Design options for Laurel Street stairs to be discussed

The Port Angeles Parks, Recreation and Facilities Commission will… Continue reading

No flight operations scheduled this week

No field carrier landing practice operations will be conducted for… Continue reading

Two people sustain burns after sailboat explosion, fire

Two people sustained burns over 20 percent of their… Continue reading

Early morning RV fire displaces one person in Sequim

One person was displaced following an RV fire this weekend.… Continue reading

Emergency responders work at the scene Sunday night after a driver crossed the centerline just east of Sequim and collided head-on with another vehicle. One person died and two others were injured in the incident. (Clallam County Fire District 3 via Facebook)
One dies, two others injured in collision

Driver crossed centerline on Highway 101 just east of Happy Valley Road

Sequim Irrigation Festival royalty candidates for 2026 include, from left, Tilly Woods, Emma Rhodes, Brayden Baritelle and Caroline Caudle. 
Keith Ross/Keith’s Frame of Mind
Four to compete for scholarships as Irrigation Festival royalty

Program set Saturday at Sequim High School

Dr. Bri Butler, Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe Family Dental Clinic dental director, stands in one of the pediatric rooms of the clinic she helped develop. The tribe is planning to move its Blyn clinic into Sequim to expand both pediatric and adult services. (Matthew Nash/Olympic Peninsula News Group)
Jamestown Tribe plans to move dental clinic to Sequim

Sequim building would host both children, adults

Matthew Nash/Olympic Peninsula News Group
David Herbelin, executive director of Olympic Theatre Arts, is stepping down from the role. He was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in spring 2022, and although he has survived various prognosis timelines, the disease has spread. Herbelin will stay on as a part-time consultant for a few months as OTA’s board of trustees seeks his replacement.
Olympic Theatre Arts director resigns position

Herbelin plans to spend time with family after cancer diagnosis