Crews from 3 Kings Environmental

Crews from 3 Kings Environmental

Crews flatten former 3 Crabs restaurant

DUNGENESS — Nothing but a concrete foundation surrounded by a chain-link fence now sits where the former 3 Crabs Restaurant building had stood since 1958.

Demolition crews wrapped up their work razing the restaurant last week at the site bordering the north end of Sequim-Dungeness Way along Dungeness Bay, said Jamie Michel, project manager for the North Olympic Salmon Coalition.

The work is the first major step in a larger salmon-coalition-led effort to restore habitat on the Dungeness River estuary, in which the 3 Crabs building once stood, Michel explained.

Meadowbrook Creek

The restoration project also would restore nearby Meadowbrook Creek estuary habitat, realign a stretch of Sequim-Dungeness Way and provide public beach access off the former restaurant property.

The state Department of Fish and Wildlife bought the 3 Crabs property in October for $1 million from former owner Norma Marshall.

The purchases totaled 52 acres, the majority of which is tidelands, and the building itself, Michel said.

Crews with 3 Kings Environmental, based in Battle Ground, demolished all the above-ground structures over seven days for about $40,000, Michel said.

The money paid by the salmon coalition came from grants, most received from the state Recreation and Conservation Office, Michel said.

The foundation will linger until at least 2015, Michel said, while the specifics of a complete restoration plan for the area is designed, a process expected to take most of 2014.

Removing the foundation will require specific land disturbance permits, Michel explained, so the work will be on hold until permission for all the land disturbance needed for the restoration can be obtained.

$3.8 million restoration

All told, Michel said, the coalition expects to spend about $3.8 million to restore a portion of the Dungeness River delta to allow salmon, birds and other wildlife to recolonize the estuary habitat.

Michel said salmon coalition staff have conducted two community meetings on how restoration should move forward and are planning a third for next year.

“I anticipate our next [meeting] will be probably be January sometime,” Michel said.

So far, the restoration effort would include removal of a former concrete boat ramp just north of the old restaurant and removal of about 950 feet of shoreline and stream-bank armoring, Michel said.

Recontoured

The fill the restaurant property sits on also would be removed and 5 acres of underlying land recontoured to achieve a more natural layout, Michel said.

A stretch of nearby Meadowbrook Creek would be realigned and large woody debris placed along its banks to encourage habitat growth, he added.

A portion of Sequim-Dungeness Way also will be removed, with roadside pole-mounted power lines placed underground, and reconnected to 3 Crabs Road likely across Meadowbrook Creek, Michel said, though an exact route for the new road has not been determined.

The restoration effort is one of the larger projects the salmon coalition has undertaken, Michel said, with other major restoration work also completed along Morse Creek and the southern shore of Discovery Bay.

________

Reporter Jeremy Schwartz can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 5074, or at jschwartz@peninsuladailynews.com.

More in News

Sheriffs oppose Senate proposal

Bill would give powers to unelected commission

Public hearing set for options on how to honor Justice Owens

Courthouse or courtroom may be renamed for longtime county, state judge

Port Hadlock housing awarded grants

Funds to help keep project on schedule

Welcome Back Coho event set Thursday

Attendees encouraged to wear red-and-white tops to celebration

The Port Angeles Parks, Recreation and Facilities Commission will discuss design options for the Laurel Street stairs on Thursday.
Design options for Laurel Street stairs to be discussed

The Port Angeles Parks, Recreation and Facilities Commission will… Continue reading

No flight operations scheduled this week

No field carrier landing practice operations will be conducted for… Continue reading

Two people sustain burns after sailboat explosion, fire

Two people sustained burns over 20 percent of their… Continue reading

Early morning RV fire displaces one person in Sequim

One person was displaced following an RV fire this weekend.… Continue reading

Emergency responders work at the scene Sunday night after a driver crossed the centerline just east of Sequim and collided head-on with another vehicle. One person died and two others were injured in the incident. (Clallam County Fire District 3 via Facebook)
One dies, two others injured in collision

Driver crossed centerline on Highway 101 just east of Happy Valley Road

Sequim Irrigation Festival royalty candidates for 2026 include, from left, Tilly Woods, Emma Rhodes, Brayden Baritelle and Caroline Caudle. 
Keith Ross/Keith’s Frame of Mind
Four to compete for scholarships as Irrigation Festival royalty

Program set Saturday at Sequim High School

Dr. Bri Butler, Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe Family Dental Clinic dental director, stands in one of the pediatric rooms of the clinic she helped develop. The tribe is planning to move its Blyn clinic into Sequim to expand both pediatric and adult services. (Matthew Nash/Olympic Peninsula News Group)
Jamestown Tribe plans to move dental clinic to Sequim

Sequim building would host both children, adults

Matthew Nash/Olympic Peninsula News Group
David Herbelin, executive director of Olympic Theatre Arts, is stepping down from the role. He was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in spring 2022, and although he has survived various prognosis timelines, the disease has spread. Herbelin will stay on as a part-time consultant for a few months as OTA’s board of trustees seeks his replacement.
Olympic Theatre Arts director resigns position

Herbelin plans to spend time with family after cancer diagnosis