PORT TOWNSEND —A special three-day candidate filing period for positions that have attracted no candidates will open Monday.
The filing period starts at 8:30 a.m. Monday and closes at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Open positions are:
• Brinnon Parks and Recreation District — Position 3, a four-year short and full term
• Port Townsend School District — Position 2, a four-year term.
• Forks Community Hospital — Position Two, a six-year term.
• Queets/Clearwater School District — Position 1, a two-year unexpired term.
• Clearwater Fire District — Position 1, a six-year short and full term; Position 2, a four-year unexpired term; and Position 3, a two-year unexpired term.
• Paradise Bay Water District — Position 1, a two-year unexpired term; Position 3, a six-year term.
• Gardiner Cemetery District — Position 1, a six-year term.
An unexpired term is the remaining time left on a position that was vacated before the term was completed. Election winners take office immediately following the certification of the general election, according to Washington RCW 29A.24.
A short and full term would have the candidate complete a short term from the time the general election is certified up to the regular start of the next term, and then be re-sworn in for the full term.
All elected county positions start Jan. 1 following an election.
Positions that gain no candidates during the new filing period will be deemed lapsed, and therefore will not be on the general election ballot, said Quinn Grewell, Jefferson County election coordinator.
Candidates who file for these positions are unable to withdraw from the election, Grewell said.
All races with candidates will appear on the general election ballot, regardless as to how many candidates file for the position.
To file, candidates can submit their declarations in five ways:
• In person at the Jefferson County Auditor’s Office at 1820 Jefferson St. between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. all three days of the filing period.
• Online starting at 9 a.m. Monday until 4 p.m. Wednesday, by going to https://tinyurl.com/Jeff Cocandidatefiling.
• By mail, with declarations sent to Jefferson County Elections at P.O. Box 563, Port Townsend. Mailed submissions must be in the auditor’s office by 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Emailed as an attachment to Quinn Grewell at qg[email protected]
• Faxed to 360-385-9228.
Jefferson County reporter Zach Jablonski can be reached at 360-385-2335, ext. 5 or at [email protected].