PORT TOWNSEND — No one was injured in a chimney fire Sunday evening at a house on the 300 block of Jolie Way off Hastings Avenue, but East Jefferson Fire Rescue Chief Bret Black noted the incident is a reminder about chimney safety.
Firefighters responded to the blaze at 5:41 p.m. Sunday and discovered the fire was in the firebox, said East Jefferson Fire Rescue (EJFR) spokesperson Leah Speser. The crew worked the incident for about two hours, she said.
“Everybody got out safely,” Speser said, adding the damage was not extensive. The cause wasn’t yet known by Tuesday.
“Winter is, not surprisingly, the time of year most chimney fires occur. The National Fire Protection Agency recommends having your chimney swept and inspected at least once a year,” Black noted.
“Even if you do not use your chimney often, inspection and sweeping is important because animals may build nests in the flue, or deterioration may have occurred.”
Jefferson County senior reporter Diane Urbani de la Paz can be reached at 360-417-3509 or [email protected] news.com.