PORT ANGELES — The Port Angeles Fine Arts Center is looking for submissions for four different calls for art: “Summertide: Under the Canopy,” Poetry in the Park, “Home — The Essence of Place” and the Wintertide Makers Market.
“Summertide: Under the Canopy” invites artists to create sculptures that encourage viewers to interact with the works through movement, sound, touch and color.
The theme “Under the Canopy: Engage, Create, Connect” asks artists to consider ways for individuals to actively engage with art in nature.
“As every experience we have within the natural world impacts and influences that landscape, we want artists to explore how their piece both enhances and alters, shapes or stands apart from the landscape,” said interim Gallery and Program Director Lindsey Shepherd.
“We encourage artists this year to play with strong colors so the installations can stand out more prominently among the trees and greenery and visually invite viewers in.”
• Eligibility: all artists and teams living in the United States.
• Entry Fee: $18.
• Deadline: April 15.
• Learn more and submit: pafac.org/summertide-call-for-art.
Poetry in the Park
For the third consecutive year, Olympic Peninsula Authors (OPA) will curate a selection of poems for Poetry in the Park for Port Angeles Fine Arts Center in Webster’s Woods.
Selected poets will recite their poems on June 17 at the Summertide Solstice Art Festival, and those works will also be printed on display boards that appear throughout the park for the following year. The theme for poetry is also “Under the Canopy: Engage, Create, Connect.”
• Requirements: Poems 25 lines or fewer.
• Entry Fee: None.
• Deadline: April 16.
• Submit: send a Word or Pages document as an attachment to olypen email@example.com. Do not put your name on the actual attachment, only in your cover note.
Essence of Place
A third call is open for “Home — The Essence of Place.” The Port Angeles Fine Arts Center is collaborating with the Olympic Peninsula Art Association for its fourth exhibit of 2023 and is looking for creatives who are rooted to the people, community and land as a current or former inhabitant of the Peninsula. Artists are invited to celebrate this unique place by developing artwork that captures and celebrates the essence of the Olympic Peninsula.
• Eligibility: all artists who have a deep connection, experience or have lived on the Olympic Peninsula.
• Entry Fee: $25 (up to three works).
• Deadline: June 15.
• Learn more and submit: pafac.org/ home-the-essenece-of-place-artist-call.
Lastly, the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center is seeking locally produced artisan gift items for its fifth annual Wintertide Makers Market. The Makers Market provides locally made gifts in a peaceful natural setting. The market will run from Nov. 24 through Dec. 17, including during the Wintertide Festival of Lights.
• Eligibility: all artists and artisans residing in Clallam and Jefferson counties.
• Entry Fee: None.
• Deadline: Aug. 12.
• Learn more and to submit: pafac.org/makers-market-call-for-art.
More details about all of the calls for art can be found online at www.pafac.org.calls-for-art.