Port Angeles firefighters respond to a reported structure fire Sunday. (Port Angeles Fire Department)

Port Angeles firefighters respond to a reported structure fire Sunday. (Port Angeles Fire Department)

Sprinkler quickly douses apartment fire in Port Angeles

Home suffers smoke, fire, water damage

PORT ANGELES — A fire sprinkler system prevented a fire from spreading at a Port Angeles apartment complex Sunday morning.

The Port Angeles Fire Department sent five firefighters to 1003 S. C St. for a reported structure fire at about 11:51 a.m. Sunday, according to a press release.

When they arrived they found light smoke showing from unit 3 and all residents had evacuated.

“The sprinkler system had been activated in the bedroom of unit 3 and extinguished the fire,” Lt. Bryant Kroh said in a news release. “Not only did this minimize the damage to the building, it prevented any further danger to tenants on site.”

Firefighters immediately worked to ventilate the apartment and turned off the sprinkler system to minimize water damage. The apartment sustained smoke, fire and water damage.

No one was injured in the incident.

The fire was caused by bedroom furnishings being too close to a baseboard heater, according to the press release.

More in News

Waterfront center gets Opportunity Fund grant

Clallam commissioners vote unanimously

US appeals court upholds Trump rules involving abortions

Move overturns rulings from judges in Washington, Oregon, California

Two injured in rollover wreck on Highway 112

Residents of Clallam Bay, Neah Bay in crash near Deep Creek

Clallam County refines proposed fireworks regulations

Elwha River forms boundaries for rules

Future shooting ranges to be indoors only

Commissioners approve new ordinances removing old measures

Most Read