PORT ANGELES — A fire sprinkler system prevented a fire from spreading at a Port Angeles apartment complex Sunday morning.
The Port Angeles Fire Department sent five firefighters to 1003 S. C St. for a reported structure fire at about 11:51 a.m. Sunday, according to a press release.
When they arrived they found light smoke showing from unit 3 and all residents had evacuated.
“The sprinkler system had been activated in the bedroom of unit 3 and extinguished the fire,” Lt. Bryant Kroh said in a news release. “Not only did this minimize the damage to the building, it prevented any further danger to tenants on site.”
Firefighters immediately worked to ventilate the apartment and turned off the sprinkler system to minimize water damage. The apartment sustained smoke, fire and water damage.
No one was injured in the incident.
The fire was caused by bedroom furnishings being too close to a baseboard heater, according to the press release.