PORT ANGELES — Smoke from a Christmas Eve cooking fire temporarily displaced 60 residents of the four-story Lee Plaza in downtown Port Angeles for about an hour and required treatment for minor smoke irritation for the occupant involved in the fire.
An automatic fire alarm activation coming from the residential-over-commercial structure at 112 W. First St., was received at 1:41 p.m. Thursday, according to a Port Angeles Fire Department press release.
Crews with Engine 11 and Rescue Unit 11 could not find smoke or fire upon arrival and it was determined the fire had been extinguished by the resident turning off his stove.
The affected resident, a 50-year old male, was later treated and released by an Olympic Ambulance crew dispatched to aid the fire department’s response.
While clearing the building, responders discovered “significant smoke conditions” on the third and fourth floors, necessitating the need for smoke removal from the structure. No other victims were found.
A total of two fire engines, a medic unit and seven firefighters responded to mitigate the smokey conditions.
The release said that several residents were evacuated from the building while those with mobility issues sheltered in place while fire crews used portable exhaust fans to vent the smoke.
Due to the winter chill many residents were able to shelter inside the building’s lobby while crews conducted the smoke removal operations.
There is no estimate of loss and the cause of the fire was determined to be an unintentional fire with cooking material.
Sports reporter Michael Carman can be reached at [email protected]