Nordland Construction to restore Center Road

Company outbid five others for county contract

PORT TOWNSEND — The Jefferson Board of County Commissioners approved a nearly $500,000 contract with Nordland Construction NW Inc. of Port Townsend to resurface and restore Center Road.

The commissioners approved the contract on Monday as part of their consent agenda, after opening bids Jan. 21.

The engineer’s estimate to repave and repair the road and sidewalk on Center Road from milepost 14.61 to 15.01 was $605,388. Nordland’s bid amount was $498,514, commission documents said.

Other bidders were Rognlin’s, Inc. ($575,000); Barcott Construction, LLC ($584,166); Granite Construction Company ($602,680); Lakeside Industries ($545,472); and Seton Construction, Inc. ($549,476).

Work on Center road includes “replacing the bituminous materials in Center Road in Jefferson County in Quilcene between the south end of Little Quilcene River bridge and U.S. 101 (approximately 0.35 miles),” the Dec. 16 call for bids said.

“Work includes removing the existing pavement, shaping and regrading the top of the base, placing new base material, placing hot mix asphalt pavement, extending an existing culvert, replacing the asphalt surface of a sidewalk, replacing sections of existing curb and gutter, project temporary traffic control, striping, temporary erosion control and other work,” the documents said.

Construction of road improvements will be 90 percent funded by the County Road Administration Board Rural Arterial Program, and the remaining 10 percent by the County Arterial Preservation Program funds, documents said.

An additional $65,000 in Public Infrastructure Funds funding will be used to cover the sidewalk improvements, documents said.

Construction cannot start until June 15, and once it is started, Nordland has 25 working days to complete it, said Eric Kuzma, assistant public works director.

________

Jefferson County reporter Zach Jablonski can be reached at 360-385-2335, ext. 5, or at [email protected].

More in News

Don Dundon, sales manager at Wilder Toyota, plucks the winning duck from a Wilder truck Sunday at the 33rd annual Duck Derby on Sunday. The winner was Tracy’s Insulation. More than 32,000 ducks were sold this year, the most in the past 12 years. (Dave Logan/For Peninsula Daily News)
Top duck plucked in annual fundraising derby

New record set for Olympic Medical Center Foundation

Duck Derby winners

Thirty-three people won prizes in the 33rd annual Duck… Continue reading

Water outlook bright on Peninsula

Drought forecast for much of Washington

First Fed provides grants to nonprofits

Funding supporting economic development and COVID-19 recovery

The 86th Rhody Festival float, with Princesses Brigette Palmer, left, and Hailey Hirschel waving to the crowd as they go along Lawrence Street in the Uptown neighborhood of Port Townsend. (Steve Mullensky/for Peninsula Daily News)
Rhody weekend

The 86th Rhody Festival float, with Princesses Brigette Palmer, left, and Hailey… Continue reading

Holding their Leadership trophies presented to them in an awards program Saturday at the Port Ludlow Marina are, from left, Rob Birman, executive director of Centrum, Business Leader of the Year; Akira Anderson, Future Business Leader of the Year; and Wendy and Brent Davis, owners of Lila’s Kitchen, Rising Entrepreneur of the year. Two other winners who were unable to attend are Ariel Speser, Citizen of the Year, and Dr. Allison Berry, Young Professional of the Year. (Steve Mullensky/for Peninsula Daily News)
Community leadership awards honor heroes

Former City Council member Citizen of Year

North Olympic Library System upgrades its online catalog

The North Olympic Library System will transition to a… Continue reading

Bret Allen Kenney was in court on Friday.
$5 million bail set in officer assault

Man also a person of interest in homicide of his mother

Candidate filing week ends with list of hopefuls

Three contests to be on primary ballot

Most Read