PORT TOWNSEND — East Jefferson Fire-Rescue firefighters controlled the risk from a propane leak until the tank was fixed.
Alerted by the smell of gas, firefighters streamed water over a 1,000-gallon tank that was venting propane into the air at 222 Monroe St. in downtown Port Townsend until a maintenance company arrived and fixed the problem.
Firefighters kept the tank cool for three hours beginning at 4:27 p.m. Thursday.
During that time, firefighters and officers with the Port Townsend Police Department cleared the area and closed Water Street from Madison Street to Point Hudson and Monroe Street from Washington Street to Water Street.
There were no injuries, nor did anyone need to be treated for inhalation, the fire department said in a press release.
“We were pleased that this incident was easily managed,” said Assistant Chief Brian Tracer.
“A strong off-shore breeze helped dissipate the propane, keeping the hazardous area small,” he added.