SEQUIM — “You need art to have heart,” said Renne Emiko Brock, organizer of the First Friday Art Walk in Sequim, which tonight will emphasize Valentine’s Day and other matters of the heart.
The color red will be the theme of tonight’s art walk, “an evening filled with love, passionate pursues, red apparel, warm hearts, the virtues of fine wine, chocolate and sweet treats,” Brock said.
It is also National Wear Red Day to increase awareness of heart health, she added.
First Friday Art Walk Sequim is a free self-guided tour of local art venues in Sequim on the First Friday of every month from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The First Friday Art Walk Sequim has returned while respecting the COVID health and wellness guidelines of masks, social distancing and limited capacity.
Among tonight’s offerings are a mixture of art and music at the Sequim Civic Center at 152 W. Cedar St. Starting at 5 p.m. the City of Sequim and the City Arts Advisory Commission hosts the First Friday Open Music Jam and “Let’s Explore Color” Art Exhibition Reception.
Other special events tonight are:
• Pacific Mist – Books, Cards & Gifts, 122 W. Washington St., will host WeDoFudge, owned and operated by Christina and Charles Norman.
Samples of their wide range of fudge (and soft, salty, sweet, cashew delight) will be available for purchase, just in time for Valentine’s Day.
Pacific Mist Books also will host Jean Wyatt’s art. The bookbinder and artist is featuring her hardcover and softcover journals, puzzles and art tiles.
• Blue Whole Gallery, 129 W. Washington St., will feature abstract expressionist Terry Grasteit and ceramic artist Janet Piccola, who will showcase their original artwork.
Piccola is a local potter who creates both on the potter’s wheel and using slab-built techniques and sculptural techniques.
Grasteit’s goal is to “create paintings that contain the elements of the world around us in new and unusual ways.”
• Christmas Collections by Sofie’s, 123 E. Washington St., a new venue on the art walk, offers holiday goodies, décor and gifts.
• Rainshadow Café, at 157 W. Cedar St., will host live music with Dawn & Steve from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• Sequim Spice and Tea, 139 W. Washington St. , offers unique art including glass, pottery, illustration and photography by local artists.
• Cedarbrook Lavender Gift Shop, 120 W. Washington St., has farm fresh lavender creations, treats and vintage décor items.
• Wind Rose Cellars, 143 W. Washington St., offers crafted wines and appetizers.
• Soup in the Alley, 138 W. Washington St., features a rotation of local artists, live music and treats.
• Habitat for Humanity of Clallam County Sequim Habitat Boutique Store, 154 W. Washington St., often offers live music.
Go to SequimArtWalk.com to download and print a map, find out what special events are happening, links and how you can be part of art.
Venues or artists who want to participate on the Official First Friday Art Walk Sequim Map, listing and website, contact Brock at 360-460-3023 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each art walk has a color theme.