PORT ANGELES — Squatchcon 2022, Port Angeles’ Inaugural Comics & Arts Convention, begins today with a schedule of varied events through Sunday.
All events are at businesses at 115. E. Railroad Ave., except for tonight’s Drink and Draw at Studio Bob, 118 1/2 E. Front St.
Admission is free although registration fees are charged for some events and a $1 donation to benefit the Port Angeles Food Bank is suggested to register for the Cosplay Contest.
For full information, see squatchconpa.com.
“This inaugural event is a celebration of the weird, wild and wonderful art, culture, and legends that grow in the misty mountains of the Olympic Peninsula,” organizers said in a press release.
The convention is hosted by One of a Kind Art Gallery in partnership with Anime Kat, Juan de Fuca Festival of the Arts, PA Panto, Port Angeles Fine Arts Center, Studio Bob, Strait Up Magazine and the Port Angeles Wharf.
Cosplayers are featured at the convention, with a photo parade, costume contest and costume party planned.
Events will kick off tonight with models posing for this Thursday’s Drink & Draw at Studio Bob’s in Port Angeles.
Doors open for the free event at 6 p.m., and the first pose will be at 7 p.m. All ages are welcome.
Models will be Blake McCabe, Richard Stephens, Richard Charles “Chaz” Stephens, Tia Stephens and Nia Haley.
Three 20-minute poses are planned with 10-minute breaks in between.
All artistic skill levels are welcome. Supplies can be provided for those who do not bring their own.
Refreshments available for purchase include beer, wine, selzers, soft drinks, coffee and snacks.
Nice dogs are welcome.
For events at 115 E. Railroad Ave., a $5 registration fee is set for Arcade tournaments, except for the youth MarioKart tournament.
Artists will discuss their work on panels, which are $10 per ticket. Each ticket will include a small coffee, tea or pastry. Attendees also can buy $25 panel passes, which cover admission and beverage at all panels.
An indoor-outdoor Pop-Up Market will offer surprises each of the four days with some 50 vendors offering their wares.
On Saturday and Sunday, a Squatchcon laser tag course will be offered by Redline Laser Tag.
The following is the schedule of events for the convention.
• 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Pop-Up Market at Port Angeles Wharf
• 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. — Cosplay Drink & Draw at Studio Bob
• 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. — Pop-Up Market.
• 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. — “Working As a Professional Artist” panel discussion at Silver Lining Cafe. Panelists are Donna Barr, best known for The Desert Peach and Stinz; painter and activist Todd Fischer; Kyle LeMarr, director of the Juan De Fuca Foundation for the Arts; and Sarah Jane, gallery and program director for the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center. Tickets are $10.
• 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. — “Wild Orcas and Me,” book reading with author Mary B. Truly at One of a Kind Gallery
• 9 a.m. to noon — Youth Air Hockey Tournament.
• 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. — Pop-Up Market.
• 10 a.m. to noon — Cosplay photo parade and contest registration.
• Noon to 1 p.m. — “So You Wanna Own an Anime Store” panel discussion at Smuggler’s Landing. Panelists will include Drew Schwab, owner of Anime Kat. Tickets are $10.
• 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. — Air Hockey Tournament.
• 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. — “Costume and Cosplay” panel discussion at Smuggler’s Landing. Tickets are $10.
• 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Iceball Tournament.
• 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. — Cosplay Costume Party at the arcade.
• 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. — Pop-Up Market.
• 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Youth Iceball Tournament.
• 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Gallery party with live music.