Smoke is seen coming from the back of the Port Angeles Visitor Center at 121 E. Railroad Ave. on Tuesday after small flames were found shooting up through the floor near a back door to the structure. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)

Smoke is seen coming from the back of the Port Angeles Visitor Center at 121 E. Railroad Ave. on Tuesday after small flames were found shooting up through the floor near a back door to the structure. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)

PHOTO: Firefighters pull up flooring to douse fire at Port Angeles Visitor Center

PORT ANGELES — The Port Angeles Visitor Center was open for business as usual Wednesday after a fire was discovered under the floor near the rear door to the building at 121 E. Railroad Ave. on Tuesday afternoon.

The building was evacuated shortly before 5 p.m. when employees smelled smoke and haze began to drift through the structure. Flames were spotted through a gap between the floor and the sidewalk outside, triggering a general alarm by the Port Angeles Fire Department, which sent three fire engines and two ambulances.

The 100 block of East Railroad Avenue was blocked for a time by hoses and fire equipment.

Firefighters were forced to rip up a 2-foot-by-3-foot section of floor to get to the blaze, which was quickly extinguished.

Fire department Lt. Jeremy Church said no source of ignition could be found but something was apparently smoldering in the sub-flooring and was likely fanned by strong westerly breezes Tuesday afternoon.

Marc Abshire, Port Angeles Chamber of Commerce executive director — who maintains an office in the center — said damage was confined to the flooring that had to be removed by firefighters. He had no estimate of repair costs, but said they would probably be minimal.

Other than a light smell of burned wood near the rear of the building Wednesday, most visitors would probably not notice that there had been a fire the day before, he said.

Abshire speculated that an errant cigarette might have been the source of ignition.

He said it was fortunate that the fire was discovered while there were still people in the building to notice the smoke and to call for firefighters before the blaze could spread.

“I think we got lucky, actually,” Abshire said.

Fire trucks block Railroad Avenue in front of the Port Angeles Visitor Center on Tuesday after a fire broke out under the floor of the building. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)

Fire trucks block Railroad Avenue in front of the Port Angeles Visitor Center on Tuesday after a fire broke out under the floor of the building. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)

More in News

Peninsula COVID-19 cases, infection rates reported

Sunday’s toll: 12 more in Clallam, none in Jefferson

Jennifer Burkhardt.
Olympic Medical Center’s vaccine supply is steady

Hospital donating excess virus shots to Clallam County

Farmer-florist Lexi Koch of Port Townsend and her son Jude, 8, unwrapped a few dozen roses Thursday for the extra-large floral heart garland to be placed at Haller Fountain on Monday. (Diane Urbani de la Paz/Peninsula Daily News)
Tribute to be for those lost to COVID-19

Port Townsend women to adorn fountain with roses

Hood Canal Bridge inspection to disrupt traffic

The Hood Canal Bridge draw span will open, closing the… Continue reading

Inslee announces pause in rollbacks in reopening plan

Gov. Jay Inslee said none of the state’s regions will… Continue reading

Section of Race Street in Port Angeles closed for repair

South Race Street remains closed between Park Avenue and… Continue reading

COVID cases confirmed in people in 30s, 40s

Upcoming vaccination clinics set

Most Read