PORT ANGELES — A man attempting to smoke out hornets from his Jeep SUV started a fire that was extinguished by Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue personnel on Wednesday.
No one was hurt, firefighters said.
Firefighters were called to a car fire on Lower Elwha Road at 11:16 a.m. Wednesday after several callers reported seeing smoke, according to a press release.
Engine 22 from Station 22 in Dry Creek, the first unit to arrive, found a narrow-access driveway with a large amount of combustible material on the property and a Jeep SUV ablaze.
Firefighters saw potential for the fire to spread to nearby trees and other vehicles/items on the property, the press release said.
The fire was knocked down by firefighters from the Dry Creek station and additional crews helped mop it up to ensure it was out.
Firefighters also found a small patch of grass near a stump smoldering; that was also extinguished and mopped up, the release said.
The property owner told firefighters he was having problems with hornets’ nest and attempted to smoke them out of underneath a seat in the Jeep by starting a small fire which spread through the interior of the vehicle.
He also said that he attempted to burn out another wasp nest near a stump on the property, the release said.
“Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue would like to remind everyone to never attempt to burn out any hornets’ nest as it has to the potential to spread, especially during such high fire danger,” said Chief Jake Patterson in the release.
Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue responded with three fire engines, one water tender, one ambulance, and two command vehicles with a total of 15 personnel. Lower Elwha Police Department helped with traffic control.