Forks will be the first to celebrate the Fourth of July, as always on the North Olympic Peninsula.
Events begin today for the Forks Old Fashioned 4th of July Celebration 2021, which has the theme of “Stand for the Red, White, and Blue!” and continue through Sunday on the Fourth of July.
Other towns will keep their celebrations to Sunday. Public fireworks are planned on the Fourth of July in Port Angeles and Sequim, but consumer fireworks are banned in those towns as well as in Port Townsend.
Forks Mayor Tim Fletcher, citing triple-digit temperatures in Forks this week, has issued an emergency declaration imposing a ban on all open burning and fireworks within the city of Forks because of unusual fire danger caused by hot weather, low humidity and lack of rainfall.
In addition, the public fireworks show originally planned for Sunday in Forks has been canceled.
Fireworks can be discharged in unincorporated areas through 11 p.m. Monday, July 5. Fireworks could be legally discharged in incorporated areas since Monday.
But the Jefferson County commissioners may change that at 1 p.m. today. They will consider approving an emergency resolution banning fireworks because of high temperatures and dry conditions. To join the meeting, go to https://zoom.us/j/93777841705. To listen only, dial 1-253-215-8782 and use webinar ID 937-7784-1705#.
To watch a live stream of the meeting, go to www.co.jefferson.wa.us, follow the links under “Quick links,” “Videos of Meetings,” and click on “Streaming Live.”
However, in Clallam County, Fire Marshal George Bailey said Tuesday that legal fireworks can be legally discharged in unincorporated areas until the state upgrades the county to high fire danger. Present fire danger is rated as moderate.
Here are plans for public Fourth of July celebrations on the Peninsula:
This Fourth of July marks the City of Sequim’s first fireworks display.
The 20-minute show by Western Display Fireworks of Canby, Ore., will begin about 10:15 p.m. on Sunday at Carrie Blake Community Park, 202 N. Blake Ave.
Fireworks will shoot from the Albert Haller Playfields in the northern end of the park and will be visible throughout the city. Those not fully vaccinated from COVID-19 who come to park to watch must wear masks, city staff members said.
Forks today will see a judging of the Window Decorating Contest for Businesses sponsored by West End Business & Professional Association, according to a draft schedule.
Entries must be finished by 10 a.m.
Tickets to the Demolition Derby on Sunday were on sale Monday and Tuesday.
Once the state reopens from COVID-19 restrictions today, the capacity of the arena will be reevaluated. If possible, more tickets will be available for sale on Thursday, organizers said.
A Sacks Tournament is set for 3 p.m. Friday at Tillicum Park. The entry fee is $40. Call 360-870-1100 to pre-register.
Saturday and Sunday will be crammed full of events.
• 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., American Legion July Breakfast, suggested donation $6, dine-in or to-go options, 651 E. Division and Maple streets.
• 8 a.m. to 8:45 a.m., Forks 4th of July Fun Run registration, walk or run 1 mile, 5K or 10K race begins at 9 a.m., sponsored by Forks Community Hospital United Way Committee. Entry fee is $10. Meet in the parking lot behind Mocha Motion on Forks Avenue, 360-640-5333.
• 8:30 a.m., horseshoe tournament sign-ups, tourney begins at 9 a.m., entry fee $10, Tillicum Park, 360-374-5323 after 3 p.m.
• 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., free archery demo and activity for kids, Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 250 N. Blackberry Avenue, 360-374-2531.
• 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., archery tag tournament, $25 per team or $5 per person, five-man teams, ages 12 and older, Tillicum Park Ball Fields, 360-640-3543.
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Forks Open Aire Market, Umpqua Bank parking lot, 1020 S. Forks Avenue, 360-374-5724.
• 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Vendors in the Park. This is an opportunity for Forks-area nonprofits to be a vendor in Tillicum Park during Fourth of July. Please contact 360-374-5412, ext. 237, to sign up.
• Noon, Youth Bag Tournament, sponsored by Forks Volleyball Ball Boosters, entry fee $30 per team, 10 to 16 years old, prizes for top three places, Tillicum Park “Ben Dome” covered area, pre-register by calling 360-640-1985.
• Noon to 2 p.m., Kiddies Play Day, sponsored by Forks Lions Club, Tillicum Park, 360-640-3123 or 360-780-2032.
• Noon to 4 p.m., Historic Quilt Display, Rainforest Arts Center, 35 N. Forks Avenue.
• 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., “Paddle Battle in Forks” Inaugural Pickleball Tournament, sponsored by Quillayute Valley Parks & Rec District. $10 entry fee (40 people maximum). Pre-register by calling 360-460-7424.
• 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., Basketball Court Grand Opening at Tillicum Park. Bring the kids to enjoy the new basketball court, fun drills, and free basketballs for children in grades three through 12, 360-640-2301.
• 5 p.m., Frog Jump, Tillicum Park, 360-640-8169.
• 6 p.m., Cribbage Tournament, entry fee $6, Forks Congregational Church, 280 Spartan Avenue, 360-374-9840.
• 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. – Elks Annual Forks 4th of July Breakfast, $10, take-away option available, Forks Elks Lodge, 941 Merchant Road, 360-374-2524.
• 8 a.m., “Stand for the Red, White and Blue” Garrison Flag Raising and Service Branch Plaque Dedication at Tillicum Park by the Mayor and U.S. Coast Guard Station Quillayute River.
• 8 a.m., Check-in for Grand Parade at Forks Outfitters parking lot.
• 10 a.m., Sign-ups for Kiddies Parade begins, Peninsula College parking lot, 481 S. Forks Ave., 360-640-2143.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Historic Quilt Display, Rainforest Arts Center, 35 N. Forks Ave. Closed during the parade.
• 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Vendors in the Park. This is an opportunity for Forks-area non-profits to be a vendor in Tillicum Park during Fourth of July. Call 360-374-5412, ext. 237, to sign up.
• 10:30 a.m., Final entries and judging for Grand Parade begins.
• 11 a.m., Judging (optional) and lineup for Kiddies Parade, sponsored by Forks Emblem Club; Peninsula College parking lot, 481 S. Forks Avenue.
• 11:45 a.m., Kiddies Parade begins, Peninsula College.
• Noon, Forks Grand Parade begins from Forks Outfitters parking lot.
• 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Salmon Bake, sponsored by Forks Lions Club; cost TBA, “Ben Dome” at Tillicum Park, 360-640-2062.
• 3 p.m., Demolition Derby gates open at 2 p.m, tickets $10, Tillicum Park arena.
• The Port Angeles Chamber of Commerce will livestream an evening concert and provide a fireworks show along the Port Angeles Waterfront on Sunday.
The concert from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. will be closed to the public, but it will be online and will feature Black Diamond Junction. To view the concert, go to https://www.facebook.com/blackdiamondjunction/videos/324725135354856.
Fireworks will begin at about 10:15 p.m., accompanied by music played on local radio station KONP (1450 AM, 107.3 FM, 101.3 FM), and should be visible throughout much of the city.
They also will be viewable live at https://youtu.be/h8tTpOYT6LQ or on the chamber of commerce website.
• The Port Angeles Yacht Club will host its annual Fourth of July Boat Parade, with local pilots and club members providing a flyover.
All boats are welcome. Boat decorations are encouraged.
Captains’ meeting will be at 10:30 a.m. at the Port Angeles Yacht Club, 1305 Marine Drive.
Boats will assemble on the water in front of the clubhouse between 11 a.m. and 1:15 p.m., travel to Hollywood Beach and the downtown pier before returning to the annual barbecue.