SEQUIM — Twenty-foot flames led firefighters to a blaze in a chicken coop west of Sequim.
The fire Tuesday night likely was caused by a faulty warming light, Clallam County Fire District No. 3 officials said.
A passer-by reported the tall flames at 51 Misty Glen Lane near Robin Hill Farm County Park at 8:40 p.m. Firefighters responded to the scene at 8:49 p.m.
Fire District No. 3 Lt. Chad Cate said firefighters isolated the fire to the chicken coop, which was far enough from the home to contain before it could spread.
He said the homeowners were not inside the residence and that the fire is still under investigation, but noted a warming light might have started the fire.
Chickens in the coop were lost, Cate said, but the total number is unknown.
One fire engine and one fire tender responded to the scene. A mutual aid request to Clallam County Fire District No. 2 was called off, Cate said.
Matthew Nash is a reporter with the Olympic Peninsula News Group, which is composed of Sound Publishing newspapers Peninsula Daily News, Sequim Gazette and Forks Forum. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.