Sequim man faces charges of repeated child rape

Anthony Ward, released in January 2018 on $30,000 bail, is not allowed to communicate with minors

SEQUIM — A Clallam County man faces seven charges of repeatedly raping a girl from when she was at least 9 years old until she was 15.

Anthony Ward, 37, was charged June 27, 2017, in Whatcom County Superior Court with one count of first-degree child rape, two counts of second-degree child rape and four counts of third-degree child rape.

Ward, released in January 2018 on $30,000 bail, is living in Sequim and is not allowed to communicate with minors, according to court records.

His trial confirmation hearing is April 17.

A two-week jury trial is scheduled to begin April 22.

The standard sentencing range for the charges is at least 20 to 26.5 years, with a maximum of life in prison, said Evan Jones, Whatcom County deputy prosecuting attorney, on Wednesday.

Each charge contains the aggravating circumstance that Ward’s behavior “was part of an ongoing pattern of sexual abuse of the same victim under the age of 18 years manifested by multiple incidents over a prolonged period of time,” according to the charges.

Jones said the aggravating factors allow a judge to go beyond the standard sentencing range.

“The allegations as charged are horrific, and we are taking the case very seriously,” he said. “I expect either a trial or a resolution of the case this spring.”

Jones said he is not aware of Ward having any prior criminal history in Washington.

He said court documents do not contain a middle name for Ward.

The girl, now 17, told authorities in June 2017 that Ward began sexually abusing her in 2009 when she was a 7-year-old second-grader living in another state, according to the probable cause statement.

It continued after she moved to Sequim in 2010 and to Blaine in 2015, according to a probable cause statement.

After the attacks, “Ward would ask her to pray for him because he was trying to get better,” according to the statement.

The girl said the last time she was raped was June 16, before her high school graduation.

Child Protective Services reported the abuse to Whatcom County authorities six days later.

“She stated that she had been reluctant to report the sexual abuse in the past because she did not want [Ward] to go to jail and she was worried about what others might think,” according to the probable cause statement.

The girl currently is doing well, Jones said.

“I met with her,” he said. “She’s affected by the abuse that occurred, but she’s a strong young lady, I would say.”

________

Senior Staff Writer Paul Gottlieb can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 55650, or at [email protected].

More in Crime

Man placed on $100k bail after attacking nurse and officers

Officers initially called to hospital for aggression

Accused poacher sentenced to prison

Hutt first in state to serve time

Forks man charged with killing his infant daughter

A Forks man was charged Tuesday with the murder… Continue reading

Forks baby dies after alleged assault

Charges may be upgraded to murder

Infant clinging to life after alleged assault by her father

A six-week-old baby was fighting for her life Friday… Continue reading

Judge rules audio recording can be heard in trial of Forks man

Richard Aaron Dickinson charged with rape, kidnapping

Port Townsend man charged with child molestation

Alleged incident occurred nearly a decade ago

Port Angeles man sentenced to four years in prison for vehicle assault

Zachary Alan Fletcher maintains he was not the driver

Sequim man charged with third-degree assault of an officer

A Sequim man has been charged with an altercation… Continue reading

Second-degree murder trial set for May

Renton man pleads not guilty to beating death

Port Angeles man charged with firing AR-15 into residence

A Port Angeles man has been charged with firing… Continue reading