Martin Perez stands in Clallam County Superior Court during his rape trial Thursday. He is flanked by interpreter Bertilda Mendoza and defense attorney John Hayden. The trial resulted in a hung jury. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)

Martin Perez stands in Clallam County Superior Court during his rape trial Thursday. He is flanked by interpreter Bertilda Mendoza and defense attorney John Hayden. The trial resulted in a hung jury. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)

Rape trial ends in hung jury

PORT ANGELES — A trial for a Forks man accused of raping an acquaintance in a remote garage last September has resulted in a hung jury.

Martin C. Perez, 40, was charged with first- and second-degree rape and second-degree assault for an alleged attack on a 45-year-old woman in a vacant building near the east end of Calawah Way on Sept. 6.

The seven-man, five-woman jury could not reach a verdict Friday after a one-week trial in Clallam County Superior Court.

Clallam County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney James Kennedy said Perez will get a new trial date Thursday. The same charges will apply, he said.

“It was frustrating, that’s for sure,” Kennedy said in a Friday interview.

“Every side puts a lot of effort into these [trials]. It’s not what anyone wants to see.”

Defense attorney John Hayden of Clallam Public Defender argued that Martin and the woman had consensual sex and that the state failed to prove that a rape or assault occurred.

“The physical evidence does not support her version of what happened,” Hayden said during closing arguments Thursday.

The Clallam County Sheriff’s Office alleged that Perez raped the woman after she brought an axe and a smoothie to Perez at his job site near the Calawah River.

Perez allegedly pulled the woman out of her van, dragged her into the building and raped her on a piece of cardboard, according to the affidavit for probable cause.

The state had the burden to show an absence of consent by way of kidnapping for first-degree rape and forcible compulsion for second-degree rape.

“You heard it straight from her mouth,” Kennedy told the jury during closing arguments. “This was not consensual.”

The alleged victim took the stand Tuesday. Perez did not testify.

The woman told investigators that Perez had given her an unsolicited kiss about a week before the incident and she had repeatedly told him “no” when he kissed her at the garage.

“She did not want a romantic relationship with Mr. Perez,” Kennedy said. “She had never thought of him that way.

“This is what rape looks like,” Kennedy added. “It happens between people that know each other.”

Hayden cited a lack of physical evidence such as bruises on the woman’s body, torn clothes or scuff marks in the gravel to indicate a struggle near her van.

He said the state relied on speculation.

“I would suggest to you there are so many doubts here, so many,” Hayden said.

Kennedy called witnesses who testified that the woman’s demeanor changed dramatically Sept. 6.

The woman was “traumatized” after the incident and sought refuge in a church, he said.

“This is someone who is more upset on Sept. 6 than when her mother had died over Mother’s Day weekend unexpectedly,” Kennedy said.

“She was shaking so hard she coulnd’t even drink from a bottle of water.

“This is not someone who just regrets having sex,” Kennedy said. “That’s a person who was raped.”

The jury began deliberations after closing arguments Thursday afternoon.

The deadlocked jury was polled by Superior Court Judge Brian Coughenour and discharged Friday afternoon.


Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56450, or at [email protected]

More in Crime

Four weeks, two marijuana store robberies

Authorities exploring links

11 years meted out for domestic violence

Man has lengthy criminal history

A photo of murder victims Jordan Iverson, left, and his father, Darrell Iverson, was shown to the jury last week during Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Michele Devlin’s closing argument.
Bauer murder verdict to be appealed

Case cost hundreds of thousands of dollars

Dennis Marvin Bauer is escorted out of Clallam County Superior Court after he was convicted of a 2018 triple murder on Monday. (Rob Ollikainen/for Peninsula Daily News)
Bauer found guilty of triple murder

Jury also finds him at fault for firearms violations

Paul Gottlieb/Peninsula Daily News

Dennis Bauer confers with lawyer Karen Unger.
Jury deliberating

Above, Michele Devlin, Clallam County chief criminal deputy prosecuting, top, moves mannequins… Continue reading

Paul Gottlieb/Peninsula Daily News
Karen Unger, attorney for accused triple-murderer Dennis Bauer, shows a photo to the jury Thursday during closing arguments that shows bullet casing found on the dryer of victim Darrell Iverson.
Jury deciding Bauer’s fate

Attorneys rest in triple-murder case

Judge Lauren Erickson addresses the jury during the final day of testimony Tuesday in Dennis Marvin Bauer's triple-murder trial. (Paul Gottlieb/Peninsula Daily News)
Jury set to decide accused killer’s fate

Closing arguments this morning

Dennis Bauer is questioned by defense attorney Karen Unger during his triple-murder trial in Clallam County Superior Court on Monday. (Rob Ollikainen/For Peninsula Daily News)
Bauer: ‘I don’t shoot people’

Accused takes stand in defense

Olympic National Park assault charge up in air

Man has been in treatment facility