Mental health check ordered

Port Angeles man faces multiple charges, including rape

PORT ANGELES — Instead of entering a plea to multiple assault charges last week, a 22-year-old Port Angeles man was ordered to get a mental health competency evaluation.

Reefer Jay Zentz will be examined to determine if he understands the Clallam County Superior Court proceedings that he sat through Friday and if he can assist in his defense against nine criminal counts, including first-degree rape, Judge Simon Barnhart ruled Friday.

Zentz allegedly attacked a 71-year-old woman and her 71-year-old male caregiver March 8 in the woman’s home.

“Defendant has been previously described by [Western State Hospital] as ‘a young man with a likely trauma history and likely trauma-related deficits,’ ” according to the court order mandating the evaluation.

“In addition, defendant has indicated he is currently experiencing active hallucinations and expresses paranoid beliefs with regard to recent invasive medical procedures performed on him.”

Zentz will be examined by a hospital evaluator in the Clallam County jail, where he was being held Sunday on $250,000 bail.

Barnhart scheduled the next hearing in the case for April 9.

Zentz also is charged with first-degree incest, second-degree assault-strangulation, first-degree assault and first-degree burglary, and assault in violation of a sexual assault protection order, all with special allegations that the victim is a vulnerable adult and that the crimes were committed with a lack of remorse.

The protection order grew from incidents on Jan. 8, 2019, at the woman’s home, where Zentz had been living in the woman’s garage, according to a Port Angeles Police Department case report.

He also is charged with harassment-threats to kill.

Two additional charges include harassment-threats to kill and fourth-degree assault of the woman’s caregiver, which also allegedly occurred March 8.

Zentz’s address is listed in the charging document as transient, Port Angeles.

________

Senior Staff Writer Paul Gottlieb can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 55650, or at [email protected].

More in Crime

Man charged with second-degree murder

Suspect turns self in after 12-hour manhunt

Alleged mail bandit arrested

Man accused of forging checks

The jury was shown an ammunition clip during testimony last week in the Dennis Bauer murder trial.
Triple-murder trial resumes Monday

Dropped gun clip possible link

Driver in rollover unhurt

Man’s vehicle destroyed

State Patrol Forensic Analyst Johan Schoeman, left, and Michele Devlin, deputy prosecuting attorney, on Monday show the jury in Dennis Bauer’s murder trial the tarp that was wrapped around the body of victim Darrell Iverson. (Paul Gottlieb/Peninsula Daily News)
Eyewitness tells of role in killings

Defense attorney in Bauer trial focuses on inconsistencies

State Patrol Detective Michael Welander displays drone photographs from a triple-murder investigation from Jan. 1, 2019. (Rob Ollikainen/for Peninsula Daily News)
Trial for triple murder resumes

Attorneys show crime scene photos

Report: Woman fit for trial

Assessment says accused shooter Kay Ann Beebe can take part in defense

Port Angeles man sentenced to four years for child rape

Man says victims were his friends, then ‘they weren’t’

Defense questions witness testimony

Bauer’s attorney cross-examination expected to resume Monday

Murder witness account challenged

Bauer lawyer cross-examines

Sentenced murderer stays mum at trial

Triple-murderer Ryan Warren Ward appeared in Clallam County Superior… Continue reading

Paul Gottlieb/Peninsula Daily News
Accused triple-murderer Dennis Bauer reacts to the appearance of accused co-conspirator Ryan Ward in Clallam County Superior Court on Wednesday.
Murder witness takes stand

Woman says she was sexually assaulted