PORT ANGELES — A house fire that originated on a stovetop was knocked down by Clallam County Fire District No. 2 personnel Wednesday.
The lone human occupant was uninjured, and crews retrieved five small dogs from the house at 2535 E. Bay St. just east of Port Angeles, Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue Deputy Chief Jake Patterson said.
“There may be one dog unaccounted for,” Patterson said while crews searched the damaged structure. “We haven’t found it.”
The fire burned the kitchen and caused smoke damage to the second floor, Patterson said.
The blaze was reported at about noon Wednesday. Crews entered the 1,811-square-f00t house and extinguished the fire at 12:16 p.m.
“It was a pretty fast knock down,” Patterson said.
Owner Judy Zeeb told firefighters that she had been cooking on the stove when she smelled smoke from the second floor, Patterson said.
Zeeb ran from the burning house and called 9-1-1 from a neighbor’s residence, Patterson said.
The Red Cross has been notified.
Clallam 2 Fire-Rescue responded with three fire engines, one water tender, one ambulance, one command vehicle and 15 firefighters.
Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56450, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.