JOYCE — Eighth-grade students at Crescent School in Joyce will write to their state and federal representatives about school safety as their peers across the country walk out of class March 14.
Superintendent and Principal David Bingham said administrators and students have discussed how they can be involved with the national conversation on preventing gun violence at school and how students can most effectively have their voices heard.
“In little old Joyce, if you [walk out] … somewhere between five and 20 cars would drive by,” he said. “How can we help get their message about school safety to the people in power?”
Bingham said that starting at 10 a.m. March 14, the eighth-grade students will spend 17 minutes — one minute for each person killed in the shooting in Parkland, Fla., last month — writing the letters to their state and federal lawmakers.
At the same time, students at schools across the country will walk out of school to protest Congress’ inaction on gun violence at schools.
He said not all students agree on what the solution to ending school shootings is and that it will be up to them what they write in their letters.
“We have some students who are pro gun,” he said. “I have students who think taking weapons away isn’t the answer.”
Bingham said he is unsure if other students at the school plan to walk out, though he said that could change as March 14 approaches. He said it’s the eighth-grade students who are the most “activist minded” at the school.
Bingham said if students do decide to walk out of school they will not be suspended.
“We’re not trying to keep kids from walking out,” he said. “We’re working with them in what might be the best way to share their message in our small area.”
Reporter Jesse Major can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56250, or at [email protected] dailynews.com.