Washington state’s candidate filing week begins today with nine county positions up for a vote in the Nov. 8 general election.
Also on the ballot will be the two-year Legislative District 24 seats now held by Rep. Steve Tharinger of Port Townsend and Mike Chapman of Port Angeles, both Democrats. The district includes Jefferson and Clallam counties and part of Grays Harbor County.
Federal races are the six-year U.S. Senator post presently held by Patty Murray of Seattle, a Democrat, and the two-year Congressional District 6 seat now held by U.S. Rep. Derek Kilmer, a Gig Harbor Democrat.
If three or more file for a position, then the top-two primary election on Aug. 2 will narrow the contest to two candidates for the general election.
County seats open are:
• Assessor, four-year term, partisan, now held by Democrat Jeff Chapman, who seeks re-election.
• Auditor, four-year term, partisan, now held by Democrat Rose Ann Carroll, who is running for re-election against challenger Brenda Huntingford, no party preference listed.
• County Clerk, four-year term, partisan, now held by Democrat Ruth Gordon.
Amanda Hamilton, a Democrat, has filed with the Public Disclosure Commission (PDC) for the post.
• Prosecutor and Coroner, four-year term, partisan, now held by Democrat James M. Kennedy, who is running for re-election.
• Sheriff, four-year term, partisan, now held by Democrat Joe Nole, who is running for re-election against challenger Arthur Frank, also a Democrat.
• Treasurer, four-year term, partisan, now held by Democrat Stacie Prada, who seeks re-election.
• County Commissioner, District 3, four-year term, partisan, now held by Democrat Greg Brotherton, who seeks re-election.
A primary contest is assured since two Republicans, Jon S. Cooke and Marcia Kelbon, have filed for the post with the PDC.
• District Court Judge, four-year term, nonpartisan, now held by Mindy Walker, who seeks re-election.
• Public Utility District, District 1, six-year term, nonpartisan, now held by Jeff Randall, who seeks re-election.
Statewide positions open are:
• The two-year unexpired term of Secretary of State, partisan.
• Three six-year terms on the state Supreme Court now held by Mary I. Yu, Barbara Madsen and G. Helen Whitener.
• Court of Appeals, Division 2, District 2 — which covers Clallam, Jefferson, Grays Harbor, Kitsap, Mason and Thurston counties, a four-year unexpired term now held by Erik Price.
All judgeships are nonpartisan.
Filings by mail were accepted beginning May 2. In-person filings at the Jefferson County Auditor’s Office at Jefferson County Courthouse, 1820 Jefferson St., Port Townsend, are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day, while online filings will be accepted between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
To see who has filed, and for other information, see https://co.jefferson.wa.us/1268/For-Candidate-Filing.