PORT ANGELES — The investigation of a blaze that destroyed a vacant residential shop continued Thursday following the suspicious fire Wednesday on U.S. Highway 101.
Assistant Chief Mike DeRousie of Clallam Fire District No. 2 suspects squatters may have started the Wednesday morning fire at 243532 W. U.S. Highway 101, near Dry Creek Road.
The shop, constructed with wood walls, a metal roof and concrete floor contained nothing but a refrigerator with deer carcass and skin, fish and chicken, DeRousie said. It had no electricity.
Firefighters called to the fire at 5:37 a.m. found it fully engulfed in flames.
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to put out the structure fire and surrounding “spot” fires in the woods, DeRousie said.
The shop’s roof caved in, leaving the structure beyond repair, he said.
A squatter may have started the fire by using an extension cord or introducing power to the property in some way, DeRousie said.
The property owner has reported squatters in the shop several times, DeRousie said.
Sixteen firefighters assisted with two water tenders, three fire engines and three command vehicles.
Those with any information are asked to call Clallam Fire District No. 2 at 360-457-2550.
Reporter Sarah Sharp can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56650, or at ssharp@peninsula dailynews.com.