Stove fire in Sequim leaves home uninhabitable

House suffers smoke damage

SEQUIM — A house fire that started on a stove left the structure north of Sequim uninhabitable due to smoke damage.

Clallam County Fire District 3 personnel responded to the structure fire at 160 Haywire Lane at about 12:17 p.m. Monday, according to a press release.

Arriving crews reported smoke showing from the ridge of the roof and the eve vents.

“Crews mounted an offensive interior attack through the garage,” the press release stated.

Firefighters reported smoke, and crews found the seat of the fire — the stovetop — and extinguished the flames.

Clallam County PUD arrived and pulled the power meter. The ceiling in the kitchen was pulled down to reveal fire that had penetrated the ceiling, according to the press release.

The home is occupied by a 92-year-old man who was not home at the time and a renter who was at work at the time of the fire.

When the owner arrived, he said that he had left a potpourri pot burning on the stove and forgot to turn it off before leaving, according to the press release.

The home suffered limited structural damage but is uninhabitable because of smoke damage. Red Cross responded to the scene to assist the fire victims.

The structural loss is estimated at $30,000; the contents loss is estimated at $60,000.

More in News

Clallam County offers more grants to tourism-based nonprofits

Clallam County has issued a second call for grant… Continue reading

New Supervisor selected for the Olympic National Forest

Kelly Lawrence, the former Naches District Ranger on the Okanogan-Wenatchee… Continue reading

New free WiFi site offered in Port Angeles

Free WiFi is now available in the parking lot… Continue reading

State parks to offer three free admission days in June

OLYMPIA – State parks are scheduled to have three days in June… Continue reading

Clallam County approved to enter Phase 2 on Monday

Jefferson County face mask mandate to take effect

Stages outlined for Fort Worden reopening

It’s “almost like wrestling an octopus,” said Fort Worden… Continue reading

Netting an education

Rachele Brown, education director for the Feiro Marine Life… Continue reading

Most Read