Sequim School District tells of complaints against administrators

Gender discrimination, sexual harassment alleged

Shawn Langston

Shawn Langston

EDITOR’S NOTE: The Sequim School District fulfilled a public records request on Friday, four months after the request was made. A story about the records will be published at a later date.

SEQUIM — Gender discrimination and/or sexual harassment complaints led to the Sequim School District placing two top administrators on administrative leave in October, the district announced in a letter to parents and staff.

The district provided some details in the letter about the complaints filed in October against the former superintendent, Robert Clark, and Sequim High School Principal Shawn Langston.

The district had told the Sequim Gazette that its public records request concerning documents pertaining to action against the two top administrators would be fulfilled on Wednesday. It was not.

Separate investigations led to Clark’s resignation on Jan. 14 — approved by the school board on Jan. 15, about 14 months after he had been hired — and to Langston’s working with a mentor as he resumed his position at the high school in late December.

Tuesday’s email, “Open Letter to the Community of Sequim,” was sent by Victoria Balint, director of Human Resources, and echoed in a video message on the district’s youtube channel by interim Superintendent Jane Pryne (youtube.com/watch?v= NgIOzuhl8K4).

The district said it retained services of a separate independent investigator to review the allegations made by two complainants alleging that Clark engaged in possible gender discrimination and sexual harassment.

“As Dr. Clark has elected to resign, privacy concerns limit our ability to share complete information regarding the investigation,” Balint wrote.

“However we can share that the board determined Dr. Clark exhibited poor decision-making and poor judgment in the way he approached some personnel matters, but these actions did not rise to the level of an unlawful work environment or gender discrimination,” she continued.

“Ultimately, Dr. Clark utilized a management style the Board does not agree with and elected to resign in the best interests of the District, its staff and its students,” she said.

Rob Clark

Rob Clark

In a phone interview Thursday, Clark said there were some things regarding the investigation he would not be able to talk about per a resignation agreement with the district signed in mid-January.

“I believe I said this at board meetings before, but I feel all superintendent jobs are interim, whether they have the interim title or not,” Clark said. “The board had a job to do. (There’s) no animosity on my part; I wish everyone the best.”

He said the Sequim superintendent position likely would be his last full-time job — the COVID-19 outbreak had changed the work to the point he wasn’t interested in working full-time — and that he may seek some part-time position in education at some point.

Clark said he was happy to see voters approve both school district levies this week.

“I still had some ownership in that,” he said.

Clark and his wife Linda have grandchildren in the Puget Sound area and in the Tri-Cities. He said the couple may split time between the regions.

Principal complaint

The school district also retained the services of an independent investigator to review complaints a staff member brought against Langston — hired in 2002 to be SHS’s lead administrator — alleging that he committed sexual harassment by sharing a reference to a school assignment from his youth titled “Girls” and by playing a song “Hot for Teacher” at a staff meeting.

The staff member, the district said, alleged Langston “created an uncomfortable work environment in these decisions and engaged in sex discrimination by treating certain individuals more favorably than others.”

He was placed on leave, district officials said, “because of the District’s obligation through Title IX to offer ‘supportive measures’ to both the complainant and the subject of the complaint.”

The investigation showed Langston did not engage in sex discrimination, district officials said, but that his reference to his school assignment and playing the song violated district policy “given the context of these actions.”

In a phone interview Thursday, Langston said the district press release was factually accurate, though other details that might give some perspective — the song was played after the staff meeting had concluded, and the school assignment he had shared in the spring was composed in sixth grade — were not included.

The principal also said he didn’t necessarily agree that being placed on leave was a correct course of action.

“Things could have been handled in a different way,” Langston said.

Shawn Langston

Shawn Langston

Langston was given a letter outlining future expectations, district officials said; in addition the district has contracted services with a mediator to work with SHS staff at the high school to “facilitate healthy open dialogue amongst the staff and has provided Mr. Langston with a mentor who can provide guidance as Mr. Langston continues to lead Sequim High School,” according to the statement.

Langston said the mediator talked with dozens of other staffers to get a “picture of the whole culture of the school” and that he is “excited for the opportunity to grow and learn from other professionals.”

The SHS principal said Pryne has been supportive and helpful in recent weeks.

“She kind of inherited the situation,” Langston said.

Both complaint investigations were handled internally through the district’s human resources department as well as Washington Risk Management Pool staff, Pryne said.

“We hope our actions demonstrate the seriousness with which we take complaints and the lengths we have gone to protect the dignity and privacy of our staff,” Balint wrote in Tuesday’s message.

________

Michael Dashiell is the editor of the Sequim Gazette of the Olympic Peninsula News Group, which also is composed of other Sound Publishing newspapers Peninsula Daily News and Forks Forum. Reach him at editor@sequimgazette.com.

More in News

A vehicle inches its way down a hill in the 100 block of South Liberty Street in Port Angeles after snow coated much of the North Olympic Peninsula on Thursday morning. Unsettled weather and chilly conditions are forecast into next week. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)
Snow totals modest, spotty on most of Peninsula

Driving dangerous in some areas

Tyler Gage photographs a fire engine while Adam DeFilippo finishes decorating the old fire engine in preparation for two Operation Candy Cane programs in Port Angeles. (Dave Logan/for Peninsula Daily News)
Operation Candy Cane launched by firefighters

Two departments gathering donations in Port Angeles; Sequim starts Monday

Clean Fuel Standard and Climate Commitment Act set to launch Jan. 1

Regulations intended to meet emissions goals

Raccoon Lodge gets options for preservation

Artist has until Dec. 30 to decide piece’s future

Fire District 3 to add battalion chiefs, firefighters

Officials mulling levy lid lift in 2023

KEITH THORPE/PENINSULA DAILY NEWS
U.S. Coast Guard and law enforcement chase boats follow the ferry MV Coho during an armed passenger drill on Tuesday near the mouth of Port Angeles Harbor.
MV Coho part of drill

Two 45-foot response boats and a 29-foot response boat from U.S. Coast… Continue reading

Man airlifted to Harborview following 104 wreck

A Moses Lake man was upgraded from critical to serious… Continue reading

Coast Guard medevacs woman from Forks to Canada

The Coast Guard medically evacuated a 42-year-old woman in critical… Continue reading

Accused murder likely to have lesser charges dropped

Lesser charges filed against an Agnew man accused of… Continue reading

Most Read