A photo of Jonathon Chrysler Jr. is held by his dad

A photo of Jonathon Chrysler Jr. is held by his dad

Runaway teen returns to Sequim, admits fabricating story

SEQUIM –– Runaway Jonathon Chrysler Jr. is now home, and much of his tale is false, police said.

The 15-year-old who ran away Thursday and told his parents he did so with the help of the online “The Runaway Guide” returned to his Sequim home at about 9:30 p.m. Monday.

He had been in Olympia and had never been in danger, said Sgt. Dave Campbell of the Sequim Police Department.

Jonathon Chrysler Sr. said his son told them that strangers whom he had met through the online site had taken him to Boise, Idaho, and then to Montana and were armed gang members.

“Allegations that he made were self-admittedly false,” Campbell said. “He was not held at gunpoint. He was not absconded with.”

The boy had arranged for a distant relative to pick him up and take him to Olympia.

He stayed in Olympia the entire time he was missing, Campbell said.

“At no time was the boy ever held against his will by armed strangers nor was he ever an endangered missing person,” Campbell said in a written statement.

Chrysler Sr. said the boy was sent to the Crisis Residential Center at the Clallam County juvenile detention facility in Port Angeles on Tuesday.

He said his son was scheduled for a judicial evaluation Wednesday.

“It’s been a rough time since we got him back,” Chrysler Sr. said.

“But we’re just happy he’s home.”

Jonathon called his parents from a phone with a Montana area code Friday after running away in the early morning hours Thursday.

The boy told his parents he had left with a pair of adults he met through “The Runaway Guide” blog and Facebook page.

Chrysler Sr. said his son told them Saturday that he was between Spokane and Seattle on his way back to the Peninsula.

Area law enforcement put out a call for a black four-door Nissan with Jonathon and four other men Saturday afternoon.

The Chrysler parents posted a Facebook page, seeking to have “The Runaway Guide” taken down.

The guide’s author, who identified himself only as “Leif,” wrote on his blog that he had no contact with Jonathon and that there is “absolutely no way [it] would be possible” for the teen to meet adults through his blog.

“Regarding the recent runaway named Jon, I am very sorry about this situation,” Leif wrote Tuesday.

“However, I will not take responsibility for it in any way.”

Campbell said in the statement that the boy returned home “after his parents promised he would be rewarded with the return of privileges recently removed for violation of household rules.

“It appears the boy had made the phone calls to his father making these allegations as a means of seeking attention and sympathy,” the statement said.

Campbell said the investigation is continuing as a custodial interference case pertianing to the relative.

Sequim-Dungeness Valley Editor Joe Smillie can be reached at 360-681-2390, ext. 5052, or at jsmillie@peninsuladailynews.com.

More in News

John Brewer.
Former editor and publisher of PDN dies

John Brewer, 76, was instrumental in community

Randy Perry and Judy Reandeau Stipe, volunteer executive director of Sequim Museum & Arts, hold aloft a banner from "The Boys in the Boat" film Perry purchased and is loaning to the museum. (Michael Dashiell/Olympic Peninsula News Group)
‘Boys in the Boat’ banner to be loaned to museum

Sequim man purchases item shown in film at auction

Charisse Deschenes, first hired by the city of Sequim in 2014, departed this week after 10 years in various roles, including most recently deputy city manager/community and economic development director. (City of Sequim)
Deputy manager leaves Sequim

Community, economic development position open

Hoko River project seeks salmon recovery and habitat restoration

Salmon coaltion takes lead in collaboration with Makah, Lower Elwha tribes

Clallam Transit’s zero-fare program off to successful start

Ridership is up and problems are down, general manager says

Motor rider airlifted to Seattle hospital after wreck

A Gig Harbor man was airlifted to a Seattle hospital… Continue reading

Traffic light project to begin Monday

Work crews from Titan Earthwork, LLC will begin a… Continue reading

From left to right are Indigo Gould, Hazel Windstorm, Eli Hill, Stuart Dow, Mateu Yearian and Hugh Wentzel.
Port Townsend Knowledge Bowl team wins consecutive state championships

The Knowledge Bowl team from Port Townsend High School has… Continue reading

Bob Edgington of 2 Grade LLC excavating, which donated its resources, pulls dirt from around the base of an orca sculpture at the Dream Playground at Erickson Playfield on Thursday during site preparation to rebuild the Port Angeles play facility, which was partially destroyed by an arson fire on Dec. 20. A community build for the replacement playground is scheduled for May 15-19 with numerous volunteer slots available. Signups are available at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/904084DA4AC23A5F85-47934048-dream#/. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)
Site preparation at Dream Playground

Bob Edgington of 2 Grade LLC excavating, which donated its resources, pulls… Continue reading

Rayonier Inc. is selling more than 115,000 acres in four units across the West Olympic Peninsula last week as the company looks to sell $1 billion worth of assets. (Courtesy photo / Rayonier Inc.)
Rayonier to sell West End timberland

Plans call for debt restructuring; bids due in June