Prosecutor will not appeal dismissal of 1978 murder charge

Speedy trial right violated in Tommy Ross case, courts rule

Tommy Ross

Tommy Ross

PORT ANGELES — The Clallam County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office will not appeal to the Supreme Court of the United States the dismissal of the 1978 murder case against convicted murderer Tommy Ross Jr.

Ross had previously been scheduled for trial in Clallam County Superior Court for the April 1978 strangulation of Port Angeles resident Janet Bowcutt before Judge Brian Coughenour dismissed the case in late 2018 over a violation of Ross’ right to a speedy trial — a decision upheld by the Court of Appeals.

The state Supreme Court declined to review the case earlier this month, meaning the dismissal still stands.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

“After a great deal of deliberation with my staff and other prosecutors, we decided not to ask for Supreme Court review,” Prosecuting Attorney Mark Nichols said in a statement.

Nichols said the chances of the court accepting review and overturning the dismissal are slim. Even if the court did accept the case, it would take two to three years, making the case upward of 45 years old.

“Many important witnesses are already deceased or infirm. The case simply would not be prosecutable,” Nichols said. “The worst part of this was telling Janet Bowcutt’s family that they would not receive the justice they deserve.”

Ross, 61, was charged with murder in June 1978 with the April 24, 1978, strangulation death of Bowcutt, a 20-year-old mother of a 6-month-old boy found unharmed on her bed while she lay dead on the floor.

Ross was arrested later that year for questioning in Los Angeles on separate murder and robbery charges but was allowed by the Clallam County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office to be extradited to Canada on a separate murder charge.

There he served 38 years for the 1978 murder of 26-year-old Janice Forbes of Victoria, killed three weeks after Bowcutt.

The appeals court rejected the argument by the prosecuting attorney’s office that Ross had failed to assert his speedy trial rights for decades, saying the failure “only slightly weighs against him.”

“A defendant has no duty to bring himself to trial,” the judges said, quoting the landmark federal speedy-trial case, Barker v. Wingo.

“We cannot ignore that the delay of 38 years is unprecedented in speedy trial cases.”

He admitted to two Port Angeles detectives in a 1988 interview that he killed Bowcutt and two other females in Anaheim and one other female in Los Angeles, according to his probable cause statement. Ross has denied he made such a confession and the interview was not recorded.

Ross was tied to Bowcutt’s death by a January 2018 DNA test results on a hair found on Bowcutt’s clothing.

Ross is now in jail in Sacramento, Calif. He was incarcerated April 5 in the Sacramento County jail following an alleged altercation with family members involving a knife.

According to the jail register, he remained incarcerated Monday without bail on felony charges of assault with a deadly weapon and threats to commit a crime resulting in death or great bodily injury, and a misdemeanor charge of removing or destroying a wireless communications device to prevent someone from summoning assistance.

Ross remained ineligible for bail. His next court date is Dec. 4.

________

Reporter Jesse Major can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56250, or at jmajor@peninsuladailynews.com.

Senior Staff Write Paul Gottlieb contributed to this report.

More in News

Parker Brocious, 6, from Cedar Hills, Utah, studies tubs containing plankton, krill and other small ocean creatures used by the Port Townsend Marine Science Center for education purposes while on a road trip with his family on Tuesday at Fort Worden State Park. Parker’s father Tyler is at left. (Steve Mullensky/for Peninsula Daily News)
Science education

Parker Brocious, 6, from Cedar Hills, Utah, studies tubs containing plankton, krill… Continue reading

Port Angeles approves lodging tax fund requests

Vacancy on committee brings legal questions

OMC hires family medicine physician

Dr. Calvin Kuo will join hospital in August

Colton Dufour, left, and his mom Cherie Tachell. (Cherie Tachell)
Boy seriously injured following hit-and-run

Condition is stable, but more testing underway for Sequim teenager

Applications open for Forks council seat

The Forks City Council is accepting applications to fill a… Continue reading

Bridge inspections set on Hood Canal

Bridge preservation engineers from the state Department of Transportation will… Continue reading

Port Townsend Farmers Market opens Saturday

Farm-fresh eggs, mexican pastries and smoked fish available

Adella Banning, 6, of Port Angeles pretends to take to the road on a all-terrain vehicle maintained by Clallam County Search and Rescue during Saturday’s Kiwanis Kids Fest at Vern Burton Community Center and a section of adjoining Fourth Street. The event featured numerous public safety displays as well as other youth activities hosted by area community service agencies. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)
Kids Fest

Adella Banning, 6, of Port Angeles pretends to take to the road… Continue reading

Clallam letter details Trump administration impacts

Clallam cites economy, tourism, healthcare

Rhonda Kromm is the new Port Angeles School District assistant superintendent. She replaces Michelle Olsen, the newly hired superintendent.
First bonds issued for develop plans for PAHS, Franklin Elementary

Construction at new Stevens Middle School to start in May

UPS Store closing Port Angeles location

UPS is closing its UPS Customer Center at 3216… Continue reading

Single-lane traffic near Kalaloch Campground

Erosion near Kalaloch Campground has caused a temporary lane closure… Continue reading