Roy Carter of Sequim holds a copy of the Honolulu Star-Advertiser with a front page photo of him and another veteran of the attack on Pearl Harbor in 2017, soon after the 75th anniversary of the attacks. Carter died on Jan. 3 at age 98. (Mary Powell/file)

Roy Carter of Sequim holds a copy of the Honolulu Star-Advertiser with a front page photo of him and another veteran of the attack on Pearl Harbor in 2017, soon after the 75th anniversary of the attacks. Carter died on Jan. 3 at age 98. (Mary Powell/file)

Pearl Harbor survivor living in Sequim dies at 98

SEQUIM — A Sequim man who survived the attack on Pearl Harbor — and was a candidate for the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions that saved the lives of eight men on the USS Oklahoma that day — has died.

Roy D. Carter died Jan. 3 from age-related causes in his Sequim residence. He was 98.

Carter, who retired from the U.S. Navy at the rank of lieutenant commander, escaped the sinking battleship USS Oklahoma after torpedoes tore through the heart of the ship Dec. 7, 1941.

Carter, like everyone else on board and in the Pacific fleet, said he had no clue about the incoming Japanese invasion.

While he was three decks below in the carpenter shop, he heard an alert: “Air attack! No Sh—! All hands man your battle stations. Set conditions zed!”

Said Carter, in a 2010 interview: “These were the last words we heard in the damage control section.”

Carter said his battle station was to lock down a watertight door with eight handles and a watertight hatch that could only be opened from the third deck.

Torpedoes hit while Carter locked the door, and the Oklahoma began tipping. He felt the thumps as the bombs barraged the middle of the ship.

“You could feel every impact,” he said. “If there was an explosion sound, I didn’t hear it because it was far from my mind.”

The attack took out the ship’s lights and communications, but the worst part, he recalled, was that by locking down the door he sealed eight quartermasters into their stations below him.

Knowing his only option was to leave, Carter began climbing out on his hands and knees as water and oil drenched him from head to foot. Somehow none of the doors above him had been sealed and he climbed out before the ship turned over and pulled him under.

“If I had taken one more minute and the men above me had closed the watertight hatches, I’d be dead,” Carter recalled.

He later discovered that the eight men below him were saved by his efforts. After the ship flipped, the quartermasters were trapped for 30 hours but were safe from that rising water and oil that the door kept out. They banged and hammered the hull and pipes to let people know they were inside and eventually they were cut free.

“I felt I saved eight guys that day,” Carter said.

All told, 429 souls — Navy men and Marines — lost their life on the USS Oklahoma in the attack.

“I don’t know the amount that were killed by torpedoes but there were a lot who starved to death or drowned while trapped,” he said.

While swimming to a nearby ship, high-altitude bombers dropped bombs within 100 yards but somehow none went off, he said.

Years later, Carter was reintroduced to one of the eight quartermasters, Bud Kennedy, who lived in Port Angeles until his death.

No services are planned for Carter, according to a death notice published by Drennan & Ford Funeral Home and Crematory in the Peninsula Daily News. A full obituary will be published soon, the funeral home says on its website at

An Iowa boy, Carter was 18 years old when he joined the U.S. Navy. After boot camp, Carter and three buddies from Company 19 were assigned to the battleship USS Oklahoma, which was stationed in Bremerton.

The USS Oklahoma, commissioned in 1916, was a ship Carter called a “technological marvel.”

His first assignment on the USS Oklahoma was swabbing the deck and scraping barnacles while it was dry-docked in Bremerton.

“That was not what I called learning a trade, that or scrubbing the deck,” he said.

“I was making $15 a week at 10 hours a day, six days a week bagging groceries,” Carter said. “When I joined in 1938, I made $21 a month for 24/7-service.”

Eventually Carter was promoted to senior damage control man in the rear portion of the ship.

Following his service on the Oklahoma, he served for three months on the USS Pelias, a submarine support craft, before being offered flight training.

Carter was commissioned as a naval aviator and served on active duty for seven years, mostly in Europe. He flew a B-24 that carried special weapons such as depth charges and torpedoes.

Following his duty, he stayed in the naval reserves for 13 years.

Carter said he was most proud of receiving his flight wings and being commissioned as an officer.

He met his wife Barbara while attending flight training in Chico. They married in 1944. The couple had three children. After living in a handful of states, Carter retired with his own insurance agency and moved with Barbara (now deceased) in 1986.

For several years, Carter would visit Naval Base Kitsap at Keyport in Kitsap County for memorial services each Dec. 7. In December 2016, he missed the ceremony in Kitsap County because he attended the 75th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor ceremonies in Hawaii. (He had attended the 50th and 70th anniversary events in Hawaii as well.)

“I was treated like a king,” said Carter, in an interview shortly after the ceremonies. “Everywhere I went I was saluted, patted on the shoulder and kissed. I must have got a thousand kisses.” And, he admitted, “I like kisses.”

The Honolulu Star-Advisor newspaper interviewed Carter and put his photograph and story on the front page of one of its dozens of editions throughout the week.

The following month, U.S. Navy representatives visited Carter and fellow survivor/Sequim resident Bob Rains, bringing them framed American flags that were flown over the USS Arizona Memorial.

Carter also took part in regular meetings of a Pearl Harbor Survivors Group on the Olympic Peninsula until numbers dwindled to single digits.

“At the time of the Pearl Harbor attack, there were 84,000 survivors [while] two years ago, there were 2,500,” Carter noted in 2017.

“Age,” he said, “is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.”


Michael Dashiell is the editor of the Sequim Gazette of the Olympic Peninsula News Group, which also is composed of other Sound Publishing newspapers Peninsula Daily News and Forks Forum. Reach him at

Mathew Nash of the Sequim Gazette and Mary Powell, former Gazette editor, contributed to this story.

More in News

Budgets before county commissions

Government meetings across North Olympic Peninsula

Holiday decorations go missing on Diamond Point

The Grinch came early this year. Or that’s how… Continue reading

teaser logo
Peninsula Home Fund donations pour in

Most recent donors listed

Matthew Nash/Olympic Peninsula News Group

For the second year, River Jensen, left, and her mom Anna Larsen plan to use stockings for River’s Christmas Project to supply toiletries to local homeless people and others in crisis. River, now 16, started the project seven years ago.
Jefferson County considers carbon leases

Junior taxing districts concerned about timber revene

EJFR to expand ability to help

City-hosted grant adds ‘tools to toolbox’

The Dungeness Off-Channel Reservoir is pictured in an artist's rendering by Anchor QEA, the project’s engineering firm.
Open house to provide information about Dungeness reservoir

Project aims to protect irrigation water, save salmon, create park

Football players disciplined

Forks investigation into hazing incident ongoing

Visitor to the Port Angeles Winter Ice Village walk through a decorative ornament, part of a donation of holiday decorations from the Microsoft Corporation to the Olympic Medical Center Foundation for use at last weekend's Festival of Trees, and then moved to the ice village for the duration of the ice skating season. The villages offers daily skating through Jan. 2 in downtown Port Angeles.
Volunteers in short supply at Winter Ice Village

Chamber: Popular rink depends on community pitiching in

Most Read