Coast Guard suspends searches for missing man west of Port Angeles

Mariner identified

SEATTLE —The Coast Guard has suspended the search for a mariner reported missing near Port Angeles.

He has been identified as Patrick O’Brien, 75.

The Coast Guard saturated an area of about 164 square miles, completing 20 searches over more than 21 hours. The search was suspended at 4 p.m Friday.

O’Brien was supposed to be fishing near his friends in a separate boat on a trip from Freshwater Bay to Crescent Bay Buoy 2 and back to Freshwater Bay, the Coast Guard said.

The mariner’s friends last talked to him via cell phone at 3:26 p.m. and about 10 minutes later saw him about a half mile west of the Crescent Bay Buoy 2 traveling on his kicker motor westward.

The reporting party then lost sight of him and said that the overdue mariner’s main engine was not working earlier in the day and he had been using his kicker to maneuver.

He also reportedly had a large amount of fishing gear and other general items on his vessel.

O’Brien had no reported medical problems and was reported by his wife to most likely have had food and water onboard as well as life jackets, the Coast Guard had said earlier. There were reportedly no VHF radios on board the boats of both the missing man and his friend.

Multiple partner agencies and a rotation of Coast Guard crews participated in extensive coordinated search operations.

Watchstanders at the Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound command center were notified at 6:48 p.m. Thursday.

An urgent marine information broadcast was issued as an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Air Station Port Angeles, and a Coast Guard Station Port Angeles 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew deployed and arrived on scene at 7:30 p.m.

Also involved in the search were Coast Guard cutter Swordfish and crew, Canadian Coast Guard Ship Vector and crew and the U.S. Naval Station Whidbey Island MH-60 Seahawk crew

“We extend our appreciation to the U.S. Navy and Canadian Coast Guard who volunteered to assist in the large search effort. The decision to suspend a Search is never one we come to lightly,” said Scott Giard, the District 13 Search and Rescue program manager.

“Our crews searched continuously for over 21 hours over the past two days with the hopes of bringing the missing boater home to their loved ones.

“Our greatest sympathies go out to the boater’s family at this time.”

More in News

Pictured, from left, are Mary Kelso, Jane Marks, Barbara Silva and Linda Cooper.
School donation

The Port Angeles Garden Club donated $800 to the Crescent School in… Continue reading

Clayton Hergert, 2, along with is mother, Mandy Hergert of Port Angeles, sit at the bow of a U.S. Coast Guard response boat on display during Saturday’s Healthy Kids Day at the Port Angeles YMCA. The event, hosted by all three Olympic Peninsula YMCA branches, featured children’s activities designed to promote a healthy lifestyle and a love for physical activity. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)
Captain on deck

Clayton Hergert, 2, along with is mother, Mandy Hergert of Port Angeles,… Continue reading

Clallam County Fire District 3 commissioners agreed on April 2 to seek a real estate market analysis for Lost Mountain Station 36 after multiple attempts to seek volunteers to keep the station open. They’ll consider selling it and using funds for emergency supplies in the area, and offsetting construction costs for a new Carlsborg fire station. (Matthew Nash/Olympic Peninsula News Group)
Fire District to seek market analysis for station

Proceeds could help build new building in Carlsborg

John McKenzie. (Clallam County Fire District 3)
Sequim to bring back fire, safety inspections

Routine visits out of rotation for almost a year

Isaac Wendel, 11, left, and his mother Jennie Wendel of Port Angeles, comb the beach on the inside of Ediz Hook in Port Angeles on Saturday as part of a cleanup effort hosted by Washington CoastSavers in honor of Earth Day. Hundreds of volunteers fanned out across numerous beaches on Washington’s Pacific Coast and along the Strait of Juan de Fuca to collect trash and other unwanted debris. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)
Earth Day cleanup

Isaac Wendel, 11, left, and his mother Jennie Wendel of Port Angeles,… Continue reading

John Brewer.
Former longtime editor and publisher of PDN dies

John Brewer, 76, was instrumental in community

Randy Perry and Judy Reandeau Stipe, volunteer executive director of Sequim Museum & Arts, hold aloft a banner from "The Boys in the Boat" film Perry purchased and is loaning to the museum. (Michael Dashiell/Olympic Peninsula News Group)
‘Boys in the Boat’ banner to be loaned to museum

Sequim man purchases item shown in film at auction

Charisse Deschenes, first hired by the city of Sequim in 2014, departed this week after 10 years in various roles, including most recently deputy city manager/community and economic development director. (City of Sequim)
Deputy manager leaves Sequim

Community, economic development position open

Hoko River project seeks salmon recovery and habitat restoration

Salmon coaltion takes lead in collaboration with Makah, Lower Elwha tribes

Clallam Transit’s zero-fare program off to successful start

Ridership is up and problems are down, general manager says