PORT ANGELES — An 8-year-old boy was airlifted to a Tacoma hospital after he took LSD that had been hidden in the home by a parent who used the drug recreationally, the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office reported.
The boy was found conscious but non-responsive Monday afternoon, said Chief Deputy Brian King in a press release issued Tuesday.
He was taken to Olympic Medical Center and then was transported to Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital in Tacoma so he could be closely monitored by medical staff, King said.
King said he had no update on the boy’s condition Wednesday.
“He was stable when he left,” King said.
“Child Protective Services has opened up their own investigation into the incident. We have not gotten an update as to whether he has been discharged yet or not.”
Deputies were dispatched to the 200 block of McCarver Street at about 4:50 p.m. Monday after the boy’s mother called for help, King said.
She had previously hidden the LSD in the kitchen freezer in a way that she believed was out of reach of her son, King said.
The LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) had been in the freezer for about a year, the Sheriff’s Office said.
The boy’s mother told investigators she found her son lying in the living room “tripping” after the boy had told her minutes earlier that he was feeling funny.
She checked her refrigerator’s freezer, discovered the LSD was missing and immediately called 9-1-1 to request paramedics.
The mother, who was not named by authorities, has not been arrested or charged with a crime.
“The long-term prognosis of the child will factor into any potential charging decisions,” King said Wednesday.