PORT ANGELES — More than 200 homes will continue to have a boil-water notice in place after lab samples were mixed up, the Port Angeles Public Works Department said Monday.
The boil-water order was expected to be lifted Monday morning, but Thomas Hunter, the director of the city’s Public Works Department, issued a notice at 10 a.m. regarding the delay.
Test results from samples collected after the water main was repaired Friday are either Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning, Hunter said.
“There was some sort of mix-up on their end,” he said. “We’re working with the lab to make sure this doesn’t happen again.
“There’s a lot of residents out there waiting for the order to be lifted. It’s incredibly frustrating. We really appreciate people’s patience.”
The third-party, state-approved lab is located in south Kitsap county, Hunter said.
Homes affected are in the upper Golf Course Road area and south of Grant Avenue in Port Angeles.
Water was shut off and pressure was lowered last week while the water main was repaired. The repairs were finished Friday night, but the city must get test results back to make sure the water is safe for people to drink.
The Public Works Department notified residents of the delay on Facebook and on the city website Monday morning.
There is a large readerboard in the area that residents can check to see if the order has changed.