PORT ANGELES — The Port Angeles Education Foundation recently awarded more than $86,000 in grants to the Port Angeles School District.
Leading the list is a $50,000 grant to the district to provide Wi-Fi or hotspots to students experiencing difficulty accessing the internet from home.
Superintendent Marty Brewer said, “Being able to use the internet at home removes one of the key barriers to student success during Distance Learning 2.0.”
The foundation also awarded 17 Supporting Projects of Innovation and Excellence (SPICE) grants to district teachers and staff.
SPICE grants create enrichment opportunities for students in the classroom and beyond.
The grants were for:
• All schools, Jennifer Sperline, Youth Day at the Juan de Fuca Festival of the Arts, $1,200.
• All schools, Allison Evans, International Culture & Food Club Exploration, $630.
• Grades 4-6 – Dan Cobb — general music “Recorders for All”, $1,853.41.
This project received funding from the Rich Boyd Grant for the Arts, in honor of the long-time Port Angeles High School teacher and coach.
Dry Creek Elementary
• Ridge Grades 3-6, Lambert Grimes, Art in a Box distance learning, $2,295.
• All students, Lauren Galster, library cultural diversity books, $1,946.37.
• All students, Colleen Harker, Character Strong books, $1,100.
• All students, Janet Vaughan, library non-fiction collection, $2,000.
• 6th Grade, Brooke Hendry, virtual book club, $902.80.
• 4th Grade, Raena Young, swimming lessons, $1,800.
• All students, Raena Young, school garden, $3,383.
Stevens Middle School
• Band students, Hannah Reed, marimba and xylophone, $5,000.
Lincoln High School
• All students; Mace Gratz, Cindy Rogers and Chris Edwards; outdoor learning space; $3,348.
Port Angeles High School
• Language Arts, Kelly Lovall Jones, ViewSonic smart board bundle, $4,177.
• Biology, Rodger Johnson, ornithology binoculars, $3,348.75.
• Community Garden, Shawne Johnson, improve accessibility, $2,341.
• Modified Math Applications, Shirlene Fitzwater, Budget Challenge: Road Test for Personal Finance, $650.
• English/Social Studies, Alyson Schilke, historical fiction books, $796.21.
For more information or to donate the the foundation, visit www.pa-ef.org.