Sequim man pleads guilty to unlawful imprisonment

Christopher Charles Cooper will be sentenced Tuesday in Clallam County Superior Court.

PORT ANGELES — A Sequim man who was charged with kidnapping in August has pleaded guilty to a lesser count.

Christopher Charles Cooper, 27, pleaded guilty last week to unlawful imprisonment, second-degree taking a motor vehicle without permission and misdemeanor assault.

He will be sentenced at 9 a.m. Tuesday in Clallam County Superior Court.

Copper was originally charged with first-degree kidnapping and second-degree robbery for an Aug. 8 incident in Sequim.

Sequim police said Cooper forced a Sequim man to accompany him to a Spruce Road residence and threatened to kill him if he didn’t comply.

Police said Cooper took the man’s cellphone as they traveled and punched the alleged victim in the mouth after a third party confirmed that the he had been “talking s—” about Cooper, according to the affidavit for probable cause.

Cooper drove the alleged victim’s vehicle during the commission of the crime, police said.

Cooper pleaded guilty to the amended charges Thursday.

“I believe that he is entering this plea knowingly, voluntarily and intelligently, that he understands the consequences of the plea and that there is a factual basis for the plea,” Clallam County Superior Court Judge Brian Coughenour said.

“The court finds him guilty as charged.”

As part of the plea negotiations, the Clallam County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office recommended a 60-day jail sentence for Cooper with credit for time served.

Cooper was released from the jail on his personal recognizance Thursday. He was ordered to have no contact with the victim.

Meanwhile, Jerez Darren McGrew, who accompanied Cooper during the incident, pleaded guilty Oct. 5 to harassment-threats to kill and misdemeanor assault.

The 31-year-old was originally charged with being an accomplice to first-degree kidnapping.

McGrew was sentenced to 70 days in jail with credit for time served and 10 days converted to community service work, court papers said.

He, too, was ordered to have no contact with the victim.

_________

Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56450, or at rollikainen@peninsula dailynews.com.

More in Crime

Port Angeles man faces six felonies for child sex offenses

Documents: Communication continued after protection order served

Arraignment set for Forks man charged with assault

Infant had brain bleed, fractured femur and ribs, sheriff’s office says

Girl released from hospital after being struck by bullet

Report: Father pointed gun and pulled trigger

Man wields machete in Port Angeles road rage incident

Police: Lee punches driver, breaks window of another vehicle

Home invasion suspect arrested in Port Angeles

A 61-year-old Port Angeles man was arrested on investigation… Continue reading

Sequim woman arrested for animal cruelty

Charges still pending from similar incident in 2022

Fourth arrest made in Sequim home invasion robbery

Sheriff’s office says Blake directed three others

Sequim man arrested on child molestation

Iliff, 83, previously pleaded guilty to communication with minor

Man arrested on investigation of assault of a infant

A Forks man has been arrested on investigation of second-degree… Continue reading

Three men arrested for Sequim home invasion robbery

Suspects allegedly held three victims by gunpoint

Sequim man given alternative sentence for child sex crimes

Barron must undergo five years of treatment, court records say

Man arrested on firearms, drug and stolen property charges

A Clallam County man has been arrested on stolen… Continue reading