PORT TOWNSEND — Adam Michael Kelly of Port Townsend faces a revised set of 10 charges in Jefferson County Superior Court that could carry a maximum of 80 years in prison.
Kelly appeared on closed-circuit TV on Tuesday in front of Judicial Officer Eileen Baratuci to be charged with controlled substances homicide in the death of a well-known Port Townsend musician. Kelly also has been charged with unlawful possession of steroids and with unlawful use of a building for drug purposes, among others.
He is being held at the Jefferson County Jail in lieu of $500,000 bail. An arraignment hearing is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. April 12.
About 50 people packed one half of the courtroom as Kelly appeared on the screen during video conferencing from the jail. He was seated with his head in his hands and never showed his face to the camera after he reportedly received medical attention immediately before the hearing.
The silent crowd was there to support Jarrod Bramson, one half of the music group, the Solvents. Bramson, 43, was found unconscious in the passenger side of his car while the engine was running in the parking lot at Jefferson Healthcare hospital March 27, according to the Port Townsend Police Department. Efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.
Following a multi-agency investigation that included an FBI bomb squad unit, Kelly was arrested last week and formally charged Tuesday.
He faces the following felony charges:
• Controlled substances homicide.
• Five counts of sale, delivery or possession with intent to sell or deliver a legend drug in a school zone (within 1,000 feet of a school bus stop), with specific steroids named as dianabol or metandinone, sustanon, primobolan or metenolone enanthate, trenbolone and boldenone.
• Manufacture of a counterfeit controlled substance in a school zone.
• Possession of a punch die in a school zone.
• Possession of heroin in a school zone.
• Unlawful use of a building for drug purposes in a school zone.
Jefferson County Managing Editor Brian McLean can be reached at [email protected].