2 suspects in deadly downtown Seattle shooting arrested in Las Vegas

  • Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:30am
  • Crime
This combination of undated photos released by the Seattle Police Department shows Marquise Tolbert, left, and William Tolliver. The two men who investigators say were involved in a downtown Seattle shooting that killed one person and injured several others were arrested Saturday, the Seattle Police Department said. The Seattle Times and the Las Vegas Review-Journal report that Tolbert, 24, and Tolliver, 24, were booked into jail in Clark County, Nevada, according to jail records. (Seattle Police Department via The Associated Press)

This combination of undated photos released by the Seattle Police Department shows Marquise Tolbert, left, and William Tolliver. The two men who investigators say were involved in a downtown Seattle shooting that killed one person and injured several others were arrested Saturday, the Seattle Police Department said. The Seattle Times and the Las Vegas Review-Journal report that Tolbert, 24, and Tolliver, 24, were booked into jail in Clark County, Nevada, according to jail records. (Seattle Police Department via The Associated Press)

Two men wanted in a deadly rush-hour mass shooting in downtown Seattle were arrested Saturday morning in Las Vegas, believed to have fled to an “associate” there after being identified by Seattle police as suspects in the high-profile crime, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.

The Jan. 22 shooting near busy Third Avenue and Pine Street left one woman dead and seven other people injured, including a 9-year-old boy, and it set off the latest round of public debate about safety in Seattle.

Marquise Tolbert and William Tolliver, both 24, were arrested “without incident” Saturday as they left the Rio hotel in Las Vegas, said Deputy U.S. Marshal Beatrice Pharr.

It was not immediately clear Saturday when Tolbert and Tolliver would be returned to Seattle.

In a news conference Saturday evening, Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best offered few details about the arrest.

“Personally, I’m glad they are in custody. … We know that after the mass shooting and the homicide, there was a lot of fear,” Best said.

Officials, including the U.S. Marshals, believe the pair may have been in Las Vegas since Jan. 26, Pharr said.

Tolbert and Tolliver were identified by Seattle police as suspects the day after the shooting. Both have been arrested multiple times, according to court records. Following the shooting, Best said one of the men had been arrested about 25 times and the other, who appears from court records to be Tolbert, had been arrested by Seattle police at least 50 times.

After the shooting, Best said officers recovered more than 20 shell casings from three different caliber weapons. A third suspect, Jamel Jackson, 21, was injured in the shooting and located by police at Harborview Medical Center afterward, police said. Jackson was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, though police said he was not the aggressor in the fight.

Following the shooting, Mayor Jenny Durkan said the city would deploy more police patrols and a mobile precinct to the area near Westlake Park, the latest in a series of similar initiatives in recent years. Last year, violent crime declined in Seattle, with fewer murders, aggravated assaults and robberies. Reports of shootings and gunfire increased slightly.

The woman killed in the shooting, Tanya Jackson, lived in a nearby Plymouth Housing building and was remembered for the joy she brought others.

By Saturday evening, most people injured in the shooting had been released from the hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman. A 55-year-old woman remained in intensive care at Harborview Medical Center.

More in Crime

Law enforcement: Pound of meth, gram of heroin, guns seized

A Clallam County trio has been charged with drug… Continue reading

Investigation for missing Neah Bay man continues

Car was found in ditch following heavy snowfall in January

Port Angeles man arrested for phone harassment

52-year-old booked on two counts

Trial date set in child rape case

Former paraeducator pleads not guilty

OPNET: Arrests disrupt Peninsula drug supply

Network described as cartel-related

Forks man faces trial on child porn charges

Former physician’s assistant had lost license

Nordland man pleads not guilty to murder

Beckmeyer faces murder, assault charges in fatal Aug. 26 shooting

Nordland man killed in shooting

Dispute leads to gunfire; 1 in custody