EDITOR’S NOTE: The candidates running for Clalam County sheriff have been corrected.
Washington state’s candidate filing week begins today with 10 county positions up for a vote in the Nov. 8 general election.
Also on the ballot will be the two-year Legislative District 24 seats now held by Rep. Mike Chapman of Port Angeles and Steve Tharinger of Port Townsend, both Democrats. The district includes Clallam and Jefferson counties and part of Grays Harbor County.
Federal races are the six-year U.S. Senator post presently held by Patty Murray of Seattle, a Democrat, and the two-year Congressional District 6 seat now held by U.S. Rep. Derek Kilmer, a Gig Harbor Democrat.
If three or more file for a position, then the top-two primary election on Aug. 2 will narrow the contest to two candidates for the general election.
County seats open are:
• Assessor, four-year term, nonpartisan, now held by Pamela Rushton, who is running for re-election.
• Auditor, four-year term, nonpartisan, now held by Shoona Riggs, who is running for re-election
• County Commissioner District 3, four-year term, partisan, now held by Republican Bill Peach, who has not stated his intention.
Port Angeles City Council member Mike French, a Democrat, is running for the seat.
• Director of Community Development, four-year, nonpartisan, now held by Mary Ellen Winborn, who has said she is not running for reelection.
However, a primary contest already is assured since Jesse Major, Kevin Russell and Cherie Kidd already have filed with the state Public Disclosure Commission for the seat.
• Prosecuting Attorney, four-year term, nonpartisan, now held by Mark Nichols, who is seeking re-election.
• Sheriff, four-year term, nonpartisan, now held by Bill Benedict, who has announced he is not running for reelection.
Chief Criminal Deputy Brian King and Deputy Marc Titterness have filed with the PDC for the seat. Kevin Paul Moore filed earlier for the seat but informed the PDC later that he was discontinuing his campaign.
• Treasurer, four-year term, nonpartisan, now held by Teresa Marchi, who has not announced her intention.
Jennifer L. White has filed with the PDC for this seat.
• District Court 1 Judge, four-year term, nonpartisan, now held by Dave Neupert, who is running for reelection.
• District Court 2, four-year short and full term, nonpartisan, now held by Charles Bruce Hanify, who is running for reelection.
• Public Utility District 1, six-year term, nonpartisan, now held by Will Purser, who is running for re-election to a fourth term against challenger Ken Hays.
Statewide positions open are:
• The two-year unexpired term of Secretary of State, partisan.
• Three six-year terms on the state Supreme Court now held by Mary I. Yu, Barbara Madsen and G. Helen Whitener.
• Court of Appeals, Division 2, District 2 — which covers Clallam, Jefferson, Grays Harbor, Kitsap, Mason and Thurston counties, a four-year unexpired term now held by Erik Price.
All judgeships are nonpartisan.
Filings by mail were accepted beginning May 2. In-person filings at the Clallam County Auditor’s Office, at 223 E. Fourth St., Room 42, Port Angeles, are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day, while online filings will be accepted between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
To see who has filed, and for other information, see http://www.clallam.net/Auditor/Elections.html.