About two dozen county employees were evacuated from part of the Jefferson County Courthouse after a woman covered in gasoline entered the building Thursday morning.
A 33-year-old Port Hadlock woman, whose name was not released, entered the District Court office around 11 a.m. with her clothes saturated with gasoline, Assistant Port Townsend Fire Chief Tom Aumock said.
“She accidentally discharged gasoline on her clothing while filling her automobile at nearby gas station,” Aumock said.
Aumock said the fumes were considered noxious enough to clear out the second and third floor for about an hour while the courthouse was ventilated with fans.
Aumock said it’s unclear how the accidental spill happened, but said the woman was in the courthouse on a “domestic” issue.The 33-year-old woman was taken to Jefferson General Hospital and later released.