NOW IS THE TIME to nominate your local hero.
We are looking for people who make a difference in Jefferson County, individuals who have made our communities a better place.
The three Rotary Clubs in Jefferson County and the Peninsula Daily News invite nominations for the 2019 Jefferson County Heart of Service award.
The Heart of Service recognizes the dedication, sacrifice and accomplishments of local people who do extraordinary things for their neighbors, their community or the environment. There are two categories for nominations, youth and adult.
The award — now in its 14th year — is sponsored by the Rotary Club of Port Townsend (noon club), the Port Townsend Sunrise Rotary Club, the East Jefferson Rotary Club and the PDN.
“This award gives us the opportunity to highlight the good works of ordinary people in Jefferson County who unselfishly give their time and energy to help others,” said Terry Ward, PDN publisher.
“These build community. They are truly local heroes, working to make life here better.”
How to nominate
• Nominations must be made using the accompanying coupon and must be submitted to the Peninsula Daily News’ Jefferson County office, 1939 E. Sims Way, Port Townsend, WA 98368 or online at www.peninsuladailynews.com/heart-service-nomination, by 5 p.m. April 1.
• A letter describing the merits and accomplishments of the person being nominated must be included with the coupon.
It should cite examples of the individual’s special dedication, sacrifices and significant accomplishments in community service.
• If possible, the nomination should include supporting documents, such as copies (not originals) of other awards, newspaper articles or letters of support.
• Individuals, clubs, churches, businesses or other organizations may nominate.
But only individuals, not organizations, can be nominees.
• Anyone who lives in Jefferson County can be nominated.
Recipients of the Heart of Service in the past are not eligible for a 2019 award.
But those previously nominated but not selected for a Heart of Service are eligible for renomination.
A panel of judges will review the nominations and select one to six people to receive a Heart of Service award at a luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 14 at Fort Worden Commons.
If you have any questions about the program, please phone Ward at his direct number, 360-417-3500 (if he’s not in, leave a voice mail). Or email Ward at [email protected]
• Meigan, Kailee, Jason and Leianna Kunz — Each of the four siblings has contributed mightily to Port Townsend High School.
• Bonnie Douglas — This Quilcene volunteer can be found at the Quilcene Historical Museum, her church, or filling backpacks for children living with food insecurity.
• Barbara Berthiaume — This Port Ludlow volunteer is best known for her work with the Boeing Bluebills, but she also is active in many other capacities.
• Valerie Phimister — This Port Townsend volunteer’s most recent contributions have been as president of NAMI Jefferson County, a Port Townsend nonprofit that offers support and advocacy for those with mental illness.
Special Award for Service:
• Chuck Henry, one of the founders of the Sunrise Rotary Club.
• 2017 — Milo Rolland (youth), Henry “Hank” Hazen, Marla Overman, Zeremy “Jack” Randall, Cleone Telling, Joni Williams.
• 2016 — Elma Beary, Helen Cleveland, Olivia Ejde (youth), Linda Herzog, Bill Putney, Ben Rolland (youth), and Bruce Starr.
• 2015 — Paul Becker, Helen and Ken Brink, Karen Jensen, Ruth Merryman, Bonnie Story, Kim Wilcox, the late Christopher Martin and the late Nik Worden.
• 2014 — Carol Christiansen and her late husband, Jim; Karen Ciccarone; Virginia Johnson; Fred Kimball; and Vince Verneuil.
• 2013 — “The Three Amigos”: Don Bolen, Ernie Jaap and Fred Spann; Cass and Tom Brotherton; Jim “Kiwi” Ferris and the late Charlie Moore; Linda Kostenbader; Christopher Pieper; and Seth Rolland.
• 2012 — Judith Alexander, Melanie and Steve Bozak, Bob and Winona Prill, Anne Schneider and Bill Wise.
• 2011 — Nora Porter, Joe Carey, Deborah Stinson and Myron Vogt.
• 2010 — Shirley Moss, Gay Eisenberger, Mike Blair and Margaret Matheson.
• 2009 — Robert Rosen, Janet Emery, Dr. James Rotchford, Larry Robinson and Wayne Chimenti.
• 2008 — Candy Johnston, Virgil Porter, Sue and Bill McIntire, Helen Kullman and Alison Capener.
• 2007 — Linda Ferris, Kim Hammers, Dyrk Lansdon, Martina Richard and Dr. John Barrett.
• 2006 — Andy Mackie, Peggy Schafran, Bruce Marston and Pat and Ralph Williams.