BRINNON — The residents of a backyard mini-home were not injured in an early morning fire Friday in the 1300 block of Dosewallips Road but the couple’s dog died of injuries sustained in the fire, according to Brinnon Fire Department Chief Tim Manly.
Personnel from the Brinnon Fire Department and Quilcene Fire and Rescue were called out to a reported residential structure fire at 4:48 a.m. Friday, Manly said. Upon arrival they found a shed that had been converted to a mini-home engulfed in flames, he said.
The couple reported that a fire in the wood stove was left burning unattended, Manly said. Upon returning home, the couple saw the home engulfed in flames and called 911, he said.
Surrounding sheds and a travel trailer were endangered but the fire was contained to the mini-home, which was about 15 feet wide and 30 to 40 feet long, Manly said.
The home was a complete loss, Manly said. The couple now is receiving assistance from friends, neighbors and the American Red Cross, he said.
The American Red Cross can be reached at Red Cross 800-733-2767.
Firefighters were on the scene until about 6:30 a.m., Manly said.
The Brinnon Fire Department and Quilcene Fire and Rescue responded with two engines, a water tender, a command vehicle and 10 personnel, he said.
Reporter Brian Gawley can be reached at Brian.Gawley@peninsula dailynews.com.