PORT ANGELES — An unoccupied house has been damaged in a fire in west Port Angeles.
The Port Angeles Fire Department knocked down the blaze at 1917 W. 18th St. in about five minutes on Sunday evening, Lt. Andrew Cooper said.
Neighbors believed the structure was unoccupied but were not completely sure, he said.
Primary and secondary searches of the single story, wood-framed structure confirmed that the residence was empty, Cooper said.
The fire was completely extinguished about 20 minutes after crews arrived, he said.
Two cats living at the home were unaccounted for when the fire department left the scene, Cooper said.
He said the home sustained “significant damage” in the fire. He added that the fire appeared to have been caused by an electrical problem.
The city Fire Department was dispatched to the home at 5:51 p.m. Sunday.
Engine 11 initially responded with three personnel because of simultaneous incidents, Cooper said.
A general alarm for off-duty personnel to respond was initiated and a mutual aid request for an engine from Clallam County Fire District No. 2 was sent.
No smoke detectors were found in the residence, he said.
The Port Angeles Fire Department responded with 11 firefighters, two engines, two medic units and a duty chief.
Clallam County Fire District No. 2 responded with six personnel and one engine.
Port Angeles police provided traffic control as West 18th Street was closed in the area for about one hour, Cooper said.
The home is on the north side of West 18th Street across from the Clallam County Juvenile and Family Services Facility and Clallam County Public Utility District maintenance yard.
Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56450, or at [email protected].