PORT ANGELES — The Port Angeles Parks and Recreation Department will host a “Day of Play” on Saturday.
Nine events are planned for youth at various locations throughout the city.
Stickers will be provided at each of the events to be placed on a Day of Play “passport.”
Those who collect the most stickers will be entered for a drawing with prizes from local businesses and agencies such as Olympic Hiking Co., Adventures Through Kayaking, Port Angeles Lefties Baseball, Olympic National Park and Brown’s Outdoor.
The city’s Day of Play is part of the July celebration of National Parks and Recreation Month.
Here is the schedule of events for the second annual Port Angeles Day of Play:
• 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. — Kickoff ceremony at Vern Burton Community Center, 308 E. Fourth St. T-shirts, passports and snacks will be provided.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Legos and lawn games at Port Angeles library, 2210 S. Peabody St.
• 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. — Meet a sea creature in presentations beginning on the hour at Feiro Marine Life Center, 315 N. Lincoln St.
• 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Free disc golf clinic at Lincoln Park, 1900 W. Lauridsen Blvd. Meet at the first hole near the Loomis building.
• 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. — The Tour De Lincoln Park scavenger hunt bike ride at Lincoln Park. Meet at 8:45 a.m. at the parking lot near the BMX track. Helmets are required at the Port Angeles Likes Bikes event.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. — The annual Park View Villas car show and family barbecue, 1430 Park View Lane. Burgers and hot dogs will be provided. Local band Renegade will perform.
The Happy Tymer’s Clowns will be on hand and a face painting station will be open.
“Park View Villas is a great place to spend a nice summer day,” Park View Villas Executive Director Gladys Doty said in a news release.
”With music, a car show and vote, clowns, traditional BBQ food and good friends, how could you go wrong?”
Nearly 60 hot dogs and hamburgers were served at last year’s family barbecue and car show, Park View Villas Community Relations Director Beth Pratt said.
Park View Villas has been hosting a family barbecue for more than 14 years.
“It has always been a very fun event and Park View Villas’ way of giving back and thanking the community for supporting our efforts to improve seniors’ lives,” Doty said.
“It is even more special now that we are connected to the city-wide Day of Play.”
• 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Free sailing, knot tying and rigging at Port Angeles Yacht Club, 1305 Marine Drive. Information about the yacht club’s sailing program will be provided.
• 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. — Pickleball, dominoes and a recycled art class at Port Angeles Senior Center, 328 E. Seventh St.
• 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. — Shakespeare and nature games at the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center, 1203 E. Lauridsen Blvd.
Games and activities themed around Shakespeare and the natural environment will take place at Webster’s Woods Sculpture Park.
“Stick around to watch the fifth annual Shakespeare in the Woods production, ‘The Taming of the Shrew,’ which begins at 6 p.m.,” organizers said.
Day of Play T-shirts also will be tossed to fans at the Port Angeles Lefties baseball game against the Redmond Dudes on Friday.
First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56450, or at [email protected] dailynews.com.