PORT ANGELES — Catch a live performance by Bucky and Stew Play the Blues, meet the “mystery artist” and enjoy the sights of downtown Port Angeles this weekend during the Second Weekend Art Event.
The monthly event, taking place the second weekend of each month, was founded about 10 years ago by the Port Angeles Arts Council as a coalition of downtown Port Angeles businesses and art galleries to bring attention to the culture and variety offered there, organizers said.
Here’s a cross section of events:
• Bar N9ne, 229 W. First St., at 9 tonight will feature a live performance by Bucky and Stew Play the Blues, with a special appearance by the “mystery artist” as part of 2nd Friday Art Rock.
Bucky and Stew Play the Blues is a new jam blues band, according to a news release.
Their guitar and vocal stylings are backed by the solid bass playing of Randy Bennett and tasteful drumming of Harry Bidasha, according to the release.
As far as the mystery artist, “sometimes it is better to not know the creator of the art and to live comfortably in the suspended state of knowing and unknowing called reality,” said Dan Lieberman, 2nd Friday Art Rock spokesperson.
“In this spirit, at the September 2FAR event you will see — though you may or may not recognize — [the] mystery artist.”
For more information, call 360-797-1999 or visit www.barn9nepa.com.
• Harbor Art Gallery, 110 E. Railroad Ave., from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday will host an artist reception for Susan Kantowitz, a glass artist who creates colorful fused and slumped glass jewelry, vases and decorative pieces. Kantowitz is the featured artist for September.
The original work of about 15 other local artists — including photography, paintings, block prints, sculpture, wood work, ceramics, glass and jewelry — also will be on display.
For more information, visit www.facebook.com/harborartgallery.
• Heatherton Gallery, located inside The Landing mall at 115 E. Railroad Ave., from 5:30 to 7:30 this evening will host an artist reception.
The gallery features the work of 45 artists who specialize in jewelry, oils, acrylics, pottery, wood carvings, marquerty and photography.
It is open from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through Mondays.
For more information, call 360-565-0308 or visit http://heathertongallery.biz/.
• Landing Artists Studio, 115 E. Railroad Ave., from 5 to 7:30 tonight will host a reception for artists Janie Brackney and Diana Rhodes.
Light refreshments and fudge samples by WeDo Fudge of Sequim will be available.
Brackney, of Sequim, is primarily an abstract pen and ink artist, according to a news release, and uses the Zentangle Method to make deliberate pen strokes without concerning herself what it will look like when she is finished.
The Zentangle Method is a form of abstract drawing.
“As she does the strokes, it allows fresh thoughts, new perspectives and creative insights to flow unhindered,” said Pamela Dick, event organizer.
“There is no eraser in her art, but mistakes can be foundations for new patterns and unexpected new directions.
“The art offers a unique freedom with no predetermined solution.”
Rhodes said she has loved to sew since she was 10 years old, and began to make bags about five years ago — selling them at the Sequim Farmers Market.
She up-cycles quality discontinued upholstery fabric, leather, vintage buttons and jewelry to create her one-of-a-kind bags, according to a news release.
The Landing Artists Studio is located on the lower floor of The Landing mall.
For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/landingartistsstudio.
• Studio Bob, an art gallery/event space located upstairs at 118 ½ E. Front St., from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday will host a reception for artist Jane Van Atta.
The exhibit also will be open from noon to 3 p.m. Sunday.
Van Atta’s exhibition includes copper wire sculpture, mobiles and watercolor paintings.
Featured is the piece “My Friend Judy.”
Throughout the month of September, the exhibit may be viewed by appointment. Call Jane at 360-775-4646 to make an appointment.
For more information, call 415-990-0457 or visit http://tinyurl.com/PDN-StudioBob.