PORT ANGELES — A third contested race for Sequim City Council emerged by mid-afternoon Tuesday as filing week for the Nov. 2 general election ratcheted into full gear, with much of the action happening on Clallam County’s West End.
Appointed officeholder Mike Pence filed for his Sequim City Council Position 3 seat, ensuring at least a two-person race for a seat that Vicki Lowe filed for late Monday as of 4 p.m. Tuesday.
On Monday, appointed officeholder Sarah Kincaid and challenger Kathy Downer filed for the Position 2 Sequim council seat, joining incumbent Brandon Janisse and challenger Patrick Day for Position 5.
A race became possible for the Port Angeles-area Fire District 2 Position 2 seat held by Commissioner Chairman David Whitney, as Keith Cortner filed Tuesday for Whitney’s six-year seat.
Whitney could not be reached for comment Tuesday afternoon.
Olympic Medical Center incumbent Commissioner Tom Oblak also filed for re-election to his Clallam County Hospital District 2 seat.
Eight more candidates had filed for the election by mid-afternoon Tuesday, bringing the total to 45.
Crescent School Board member Joey Currie filed to retain his Position 2 seat, as did Cape Flattery School Board officeholder Michael Lawrence, for his District 2 seat.
Incumbent Forks-area Fire District 1 Commissioner Tony Romberg filed to keep the Position 5 seat, joining Joyce-area Fire District 4, Position 4 Commissioner Terry Barnett.
Incumbent Quillayute Park and Recreation District Position 1 Commissioner Donald Grafstrom also filed the position.
Below is a complete list of candidates who had filed for the Nov. 2 election as of mid-afternoon Tuesday:
• Port of Port Angeles commissioner: Colleen McAleer, Sequim-area District 1; Steven Burke, Port Angeles-area District 2.
•Port Angeles City Council: LaTrisha Suggs, Adam Garcia, Position 1; Mike French, Position 2; Lindsey Schromen-Wawrin, Jena Stamper, Position 3; Kate Dexter, Position 4.
• Sequim City Council: Sarah Kincaid, Kathy Downer, Position 2; Mike Pence, Vicki Lowe, Position 3; Rachel Anderson, Position 4; Brandon Janisse, Patrick Day, Position 5.
• Forks City Council: Tim Fletcher, Steve Wright, Mayor; Barbara Neilhouse, Clinton Wood, Position 2; Sarah Holmes, Position 3.
• Clallam County Hospital District 1 (Forks Community Hospital): Donald Lawley, Position 3; Sarah Huling, Linda Offutt, at-large Position 5.
• Clallam County Hospital District 2 (Olympic Medical Center): Tom Oblak, District 1, Position 2; Thom Hightower, District 3, Position 1; Heather Jeffers, at-large.
• Cape Flattery School Board: Janine Ledford, District 1; Michael Lawrence, District 2.
• Port Angeles School Board: Sarah Methner, Position 1; Jean Stratton, Position 2.
• Port Angeles-area Fire District 2: Keith Cortner, Position 2.
• Sequim School Board: Patrice Johnston, District 2; Rachel Tax, District 4.
• Crescent School Board: Joey Currie, Position 2.
• Forks-area Fire District 1: Tony Romberg, Position 5.
• Sequim-area Fire District 3: Jeff Nicholas, Position 1.
• Joyce-area Fire District 4: Barnett, Position 4.
• Clallam Bay-area Fire District 5: Greg Bellamy, Position 2.
• La Push-area Fire District 6: Tom Rosmond, Position 3.
• Clallam County Park and Recreation District 1 (Sequim Aquatic Recreation Center-YMCA): Ray Henninger; Position 1; Frank Pickering, Position 2.
• Sunland Water District: Alan Frank, Position 3.
Here are office holders whose seats will be on the Nov. 2 ballot in both Clallam and Jefferson counties:
• Sequim School Board (Clallam, Jefferson): Brandino Gibson, Brian Kuh.
• Quillayute Valley School Board (Clallam, Jefferson): Kevin Hinchen, Ron Hurn.
• Forks Fire District 1 (Clallam, Jefferson): Romberg.
• Sequim-area Fire District 3 (Clallam, Jefferson): G. Michael Gawley.
Here are office holders whose seats will be on the Nov. 2 ballot in Clallam County:
• Port of Port Angeles: McAleer, Burke.
• Clallam County Hospital District 1 (Forks Community Hospital): Lawley; Position 5 vacant.
• Clallam County Hospital District 2 (Olympic Medical Center): Jim Leskinovitch, Oblak, Hightower.
• Port Angeles City Council: Suggs, French, Schromen-Wawrin, Dexter.
• Sequim City Council: Kincaid, Pence, Anderson, Janisse, Larkin.
• Forks City Council: Hillcar, Soha; Fletcher.
• Port Angeles School Board: Methner, Kelly.
• Crescent School Board: Sandy Middleton, Joey Currie.
• Cape Flattery School Board: Janine Ledford, Lawrence, LeAnne Fletcher.
• Port Angeles-area (not including city) Fire District 2: David R. Whitney.
• Joyce-area Fire District 4: Terry Barnett.
• Clallam Bay-area Fire District 5: Bellamy Sr.
• La Push-area Fire District 6: Rosmond.
• Park and Recreation District 1 (Sequim Aquatic Recreation Center-YMCA): Heninger, Pickering.
• Quillayute Park and Recreation District: Grafstrom, Susie Brandelius.
• Black Diamond Water District: Sarah Martinez.
• Sunland Water District: Alan Frank.
Senior Staff Writer Paul Gottlieb can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 55650, or at [email protected].
EDITOR’S NOTE: The nighttime closure of the Hood Canal Bridge has necessitated earlier deadlines to allow the Peninsula Daily News to get printed newspapers back from the press in Everett in time for delivery Wednesday morning. That means all filings on Tuesday may not be included in this story. They will be picked up on Wednesday for Thursday’s paper. Overnight closures of the bridge also are planned tonight and Thursday.