Forks woman accused of shooting her husband

Bail set at $500,000; charges expected Monday

PORT ANGELES — A Forks woman who allegedly knew she was shooting her husband after mistaking him for a vehicle prowler had a $500,000 bail set Thursday pending the expected filing of charges Monday in Clallam County Superior Court.

Judge Brent Basden set bail after finding probable cause that Kay Ann Beebe, 66, committed second-degree attempted murder-domestic violence, first-degree assault-domestic violence and reckless endangerment.

Beebe allegedly fired 13 rounds from her pink and black 9 mm Glock semiautomatic pistol, hitting David E. Beebe, 69, with a single bullet outside his home and causing what medics said was a “through-and-through” wound to his lower leg, according to the probable cause statement.

Beebe remained in serious condition Thursday in the intensive care unit at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle, a hospital spokesperson said.

Two of the shots hit a next-door-neighbor’s residence, one embedding in the siding of the home, the other going through a window and bouncing off furniture, according to the statement, written by Sheriff’s Detective Brandon Stoppani. The residents were sleeping at the time.

Kay Beebe changed her account of the incident three times, according to the probable cause statement.

She said while at the hospital emergency room that before she called 9-1-1, she heard gunshots going off just outside of her house and that her husband said someone was shooting at him, according to the statement.

Later Monday, after her gun and shell casings were recovered from the ground outside the home, she said in a recorded interview that she retrieved the pistol from her vehicle and fired the shots, believing someone was breaking into her husband’s truck.

Then she said she did not know the person she was shooting at was her husband until after the first shot, but once she did, she continued shooting anyway.

“I remember seeing him and then it was like, I just, I just kind of went blank, and I just, and I just closed my eyes and kept pulling the trigger,” she said.

“I just snapped.”

The Beebes divorced in 1997, according to court files. Kay Beebe told deputies they had been remarried for more than 20 years and that they were having financial problems.

David Beebe told deputies he was shot while stepping up into his Peterbilt log truck outside his three-bedroom residence in the 1400 block of Calawah Way east of Forks.

He said he heard gunshots, saw a gunflash and laid on the ground, unable to see the shooter. His truck was struck multiple times.

Beebe said the first person he saw was his wife, standing “in the same place the person was shooting from,” Stoppani said in the probable cause statement.

The pistol was located under Beebe’s truck.

“He was sure that Kay would not shoot him,” Stoppani said in the statement.

Kay Beebe had been held on $20,000 bail following her arrest Monday.

Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Matthew Roberson, arguing for $500,000 bail, said Beebe admitted to firing 11 of the 13 shots at her husband from 50 feet away and quoted her saying she snapped due to financial strains and stress.

“The consequences of the alleged actions could have been a lot worse,” Roberson said. “The ‘I snapped’ raises some concern that the stresses, the finances and stresses of the situation, I think, make it more likely for future violent outbursts.”

Harry Gasnick of Clallam Public Defender said Beebe is a longtime county resident.

“The allegations, if there is any merit to them, suggest a circumstance that is a problematic circumstance that is limited to one very specific individual,” Gasnick said.

“All indications suggest the lady would abide by a no-contact order and not violate any conditions of release.”

In setting bail, Basden said he was considering the likely danger of Beebe committing a violent crime.

“Although they are just allegations at this point, the indications are that Ms. Beebe indicated that she just snapped in response to a stressful situation, and so the court does have concerns at this point with the danger that she presents to the community.”

Beebe’s conditions of release include surrendering her concealed pistol license and not possessing firearms.

________

Senior Staff Writer Paul Gottlieb can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 55650, or at [email protected].

More in Crime

Quileute man sentenced for child sexual assault

A member of the Quileute Tribe has been sentenced to… Continue reading

Second-degree murder trial date set

Quilcene man shot, killed in November

Jared Bauer, Dennis Bauer’s son, testifies in his father’s triple-murder trial Wednesday in Clallam County Superior Court. (Rob Ollikainen/For the Peninsula Daily News)
Bauer’s son not an alibi for his father

Prosecution witness delivers testimony during proceedings

Dr. Eric Kiesel, the medical examiner who performed autopsies on the bodies of Tiffany May and Darrell and Jordan Iverson in January 2019, uses a manakin to show the trajectory of bullets during Dennis Mavin Bauer’s triple murder trial Monday in Clallam County Superior Court. Michele Devlin, county Chief Criminal Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, looks on.
Murder trial testimony details 19 gunshot wounds

Medical examiner: At least two types of ammunition used

Man charged with second-degree murder

Suspect turns self in after 12-hour manhunt

Alleged mail bandit arrested

Man accused of forging checks

The jury was shown an ammunition clip during testimony last week in the Dennis Bauer murder trial.
Triple-murder trial resumes Monday

Dropped gun clip possible link

Driver in rollover unhurt

Man’s vehicle destroyed

State Patrol Forensic Analyst Johan Schoeman, left, and Michele Devlin, deputy prosecuting attorney, on Monday show the jury in Dennis Bauer’s murder trial the tarp that was wrapped around the body of victim Darrell Iverson. (Paul Gottlieb/Peninsula Daily News)
Eyewitness tells of role in killings

Defense attorney in Bauer trial focuses on inconsistencies

State Patrol Detective Michael Welander displays drone photographs from a triple-murder investigation from Jan. 1, 2019. (Rob Ollikainen/for Peninsula Daily News)
Trial for triple murder resumes

Attorneys show crime scene photos

Report: Woman fit for trial

Assessment says accused shooter Kay Ann Beebe can take part in defense

Port Angeles man sentenced to four years for child rape

Man says victims were his friends, then ‘they weren’t’