Felony charges filed in drive-by shootings

Port Angeles man faces possible 10 years in prison

PORT ANGELES — A Port Angeles man arrested Sunday in connection with two alleged drive-by shootings on Friday and Saturday now faces two felonies after Clallam County prosecutors refiled charges following further investigation.

Seth D. Weathers, 31, was charged Tuesday with one count of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon with a firearm enhancement and one count of drive-by shooting. Both are Class B felonies, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and/or a $20,000 fine, plus restitutions and assessments.

The firearm enhancement could add another three years to the sentence or six years if Weathers previously has been convicted of the same charge.

Weathers remained Wednesday in the Clallam County jail in lieu of $110,000 bail or cash bond.

The first shooting report was at about 4:30 p.m. Friday from two people with their horses in the 100 block of Finn Hall Road in Agnew.

They told deputies that a speeding driver fired three shots at them after they tried to slow him down by yelling and waving, the sheriff’s office said in a press release.

According to a second probable cause statement filed Dec. 18, one person in Agnew said she was outside near the roadway and the gunshots scared her so much that she ran and hid in a nearby building. After the shooter passed, she checked her truck where her 2-year-old was sitting to make sure the child was OK.

One of the people with the horses estimated the shooter was traveling at a speed of between 50 mph and 70 mph. The speed limit on that stretch of Finn Hall Road is 35 mph.

On Saturday, a second report of a drive-by shooting was received by the Port Angeles Police Department.

A witness said the driver of a blue Dodge pickup fired at another motorist in the area of the intersection of Park and Peabody streets, the sheriff’s office said.

Steve Johnson, Clallam County prosecuting attorney, wrote in a Monday afternoon email that the Saturday incident in Port Angeles was referred to district court because he did not believe the evidence in the probable cause statement met the elements of a drive-by shooting.

Regarding the incident in Agnew on Friday, Johnson wrote that he had asked the sheriff’s office to conduct further investigation to determine if it would qualify as a drive-by shooting or another felony.

No one was reported hurt in the shootings.

________

Reporter Brian Gawley can be reached at brian.gawley@peninsuladailynews.com.

More in Crime

Woman charged with stealing transit bus pleads not guilty

Status hearing in April, three-day trial May 13

Man jailed after newborn’s death released

Charges dismissed without prejudice

Evaluations scheduled for juvenile

Boy charged in playground fire due in court Feb. 22

April trial set for accused murderer

A Sequim woman accused of killing the daughter of… Continue reading

Fugitive from Texas arrested in downtown Port Angeles

A 46-year-old man was arrested in downtown Port Angeles… Continue reading

Port Angeles man to be arraigned on child sex charges

A Port Angeles man will be arraigned Feb. 2… Continue reading

Jordan T. Sorensen.
Man held in jail after death of newborn

Arraignment hearing scheduled for Feb. 2

Jordan T. Sorensen.
Child dead, father arrested

Manhunt leads to deceased newborn

Port Angeles man to be sentenced on three child sex charges

A Port Angeles man is scheduled to be sentenced… Continue reading