Peninsula Daily News
PORT TOWNSEND — Twenty-three boats competed in the 26th annual Shipwrights’ Regatta, which was greeted by light southerly breezes, shortening the race to a single circuit around a long, triangular course.
Sir Isaac of Port Townsend, owned by John and Anne Bailey, won the Class A racing division, finishing in 59 minutes, 16 seconds.
Perpetual Awards for 2017 race are:
• Half Model Sylvie for first wooden boat to start: Sir Isaac
• Pegleg for first wooden boat to finish: Sir Isaac
• Hook for last boat to finish: Tarani
• Trident for saltiest boat or crew: Dorado
• Directional Helmet for someone who gets lost or misses a buoy: Impossible Dream
• Whack-o-meter for best use of misspent energy: Sorcerer’s Apprentice
• Wire boat for 1st boat to finish in cruising class: Carlyn
• Van Hope Community Award for largest crew: Norma Mae
• Free Haul-out for Youngest crew: Falkor
There were three racing classes that competed: Class A racing, Class B cruising, Class C Thunderbirds.
Across the line finishes:
Class A: Racing (starting time: 12:20)
Sir Isaac, first, 13:19:16; Blue Fin, second, 13:21:52; Sorcerer’s Apprentice, third, 13:29:01; Lucky, fourth, 13:29:07; Andiamo, fifth, 13:48:28.
Class B: Cruising (starting time 12:25)
Carlyn, first, 13:40:18; Fiddlehead, second, 13:41:37; Norma Mae, third, 13:41:40; Second Wind, fourth, 13:41:42; Able, fifth, 13:45:55; Flakor, sixth, 13:47:40; Impossible Dream, seventh, 13:52:07; Jaga, eighth, 13:53:49; Tipi Haere, ninth, 14:02:06; Tarani, 10th, 14:03:07
Class C: Thunderbirds (starting time 12:30)
Dorado, first, 13:25:44; Mabuhay, second, 13:26:17; Raven, third, 13:26:46; Boreas, fourth, 13:27:18; Blew Bird, fifth, 13:27:51; Thatuna, sixth, 13:30:05; Caveat, seventh, 13:30:20; Not Raven, eighth, 13:30:48