PORT ANGELES — Nearly 250 racers from the U.S. and other countries — including the Netherlands, Canada and the United Kingdom — competed in the sixth annual Great Olympic Adventure Trail (GOAT) Run on Saturday.
Racers ran distances ranging from 50 kilometers (about 31 miles), marathon and half-marathon along trails and logging roads from Granny’s Cafe to the northwestern shore of Lake Crescent. The 50K route had a grueling 3,000 feet of elevation gain in the hills of Kelly Ridge between Joyce and Lake Crescent.
Winning the 50K men’s run is a familiar name to adventure and marathon runners in the Olympic Peninsula: Keith Laverty of Bainbridge Island. Laverty won the Rhody Run in 2018, the North Olympic Discovery Marathon in 2018 and won that event’s 10K this year.
Laverty took first with a time of 3 hours, 41 minutes and 1 second, beating Craig Manahan of Tumwater (3:58:38) by 17½ minutes. Third among the men was Ari Oppenheimber of Seattle at 4:17:39.
The women’s 50K winner was Kristina Randrup of Berkeley, Calif., with a time of 4:06.40. She also had the third-fastest overall time for men and women.
Elena Horton of Cincinnati was second at 4:13:09, while Lillian Manahan of Tumwater was third at 4:39:42.
The best locals’ times in the 50K was Rodney Just of Port Townsend at 5:09:17, good for 16th overall Meghan Ahearn of Port Angeles had the best local finish for the women with a time of 5:17:42.95, good for 21st.
In the marathon, Corey Nunlist of Olympia took first with a time of 3:39.12, while Torrey Hoffman of Seattle was second at 3:43:48. Judd Rush of Sequim finished third at 3:44.58.
Among the women, Nancy Citriglia of Winter Park, Colo., was first with a time of 3:42:39 and she had the second-fastest overall time among men and women. Rachel Hutchinson of Port Angeles was second at 3:47:19 and Rachel Overpeck of Hoodsport was third at 3:54:27. Hutchinson also won her 30-39 age group.
Bryan Bakker of Chimacum also won his marathon age group — male 18-29 — with a time of 4:04:16.76. Pegy Zeeb of Port Angeles won the women’s 60-69 age group marathon with a time of 4:20:49.53.
The best half-marathon time was by Jacalyn Gross from Marysville with a time of 1:38:26. Andrew Bouchet of Bremerton had the fastest men’s time at 1:38:58.
There were two waves of half-marathon runners because of the number of competitors in this event. Dan Hall of Port Angeles had the best overall showing for local runners in the half-marathon, finishing fourth in the first wave (and sixth overall) with a time of 1:49:55.25.
In locals’ half-marathon results, Brooke Pucciarelli of Sequim won her wave’s age group — women’s 18-29 — with a time of 2:01:52.96. Katharine Beirne of Port Angeles won her 50-59 women’s age group with time of 1:56:44.08, while Tim Branham won his 50-59 male age group with a time of 2:11:54.23.
Alex Noftz of Sequim won the women’s 50-59 age group with a time of 3:03:36.63. Pete Noftz of Sequim won the men’s 70-plus group with a time of 2:35:22.06.
Peninsula Adventure Sports is next putting on the “Big Hurt” on Sept. 28. This event combines downhill mountain biking, kayaking in Port Angeles Harbor, road cycling and running in and around the city of Port Angeles. Registration is still open for this race for individuals and teams. Go to bighurtpa.com to register.
On Feb. 29, Peninsula Adventure Sports is sponsoring the Frosty Moss Relay run. This 30- or 80-mile run takes place from the Sol Duc Valley to Blyn. Registration is now open for this event at frostymossrelay.com.
Winners and local finishers:
Goat Run 50k
- Male 18-29 — Ari Oppenheimer, Seattle, first, 4:17:38.45; Brian Richardson, Port Hadlock, fifth, 5:27:26.59.
- Female 18-29 — Kristina Randrup, Berkeley, Calif., first, 4:06:40.19; Alexandra Huller, Sequim fourth, 5:26:57.03; Heather Hanson, Port Hadlock, seventh, 6:29:13.47.
- Male 30-39 — Keith Laverty, Bainbridge, first, 3:41:01.05; Rodney Just, Port Townsend, sixth, 5:09:17.77; Adam Carter, Port Townsend, 10th, 5:27:31.54;
- Female 30-39 — Lillian Manahan, Tumwater, first, 4:39:42.83; Meghan Ahearn, Port Angeles, sixth, 5:17:42.95.
- Male 40-49 — Jun Wu, Bellevue, first, 5:38:48.25.
- Female 40-49 — Daisy Mendes, Snoqualmie, first, 6:53:35.35; Eliza Klinger, Sequim, second, 7:17:06.97.
- Male 50-59 — Joe Jereczek, Seattle, first, 5:08:38.65; Tommie Alford, Port Townsend, second, 6:18:29.81.
- Female 50-59 — Yvette Stepp, Sequim, first, 5:41:12.20.
- Female 60-69 — Kathryn Majorki, Tacoma, first, 5:47:13.42.
Goat Run Marathon
- Male 18-29 — Bryan Bakker, Chimacum, first, 4:04:16.76; Croix Parrott, Port Angeles, third, 6:01:10.32.
- Female 18-29 — Rachel Overpeck, Hoodsport, first, 3:54:27.98.
- Male 30-39 — Corey Nunlist, Olympia, first, 3:39:12.20; Judd Rush, Sequim, second, 3:44:58.89.
- Female 30-39 — Rachel Hutchinson, Port Angeles, first, 3:47:19.82; Mandy Holmgren, Port Angeles, second, 4:45:14.27.
- Male 40-49 — Torrey Hoffman, Seattle, first, 3:43:48.57.
- Female 40-49 — Nancy Citriglia, Winter Park, first, 3:42:39.20; Alecia Smith, Sequim, third, 5:16:11.88.
- Male 60-69 — James Willson, Bellingham, first, 4:54:07.10.
- Female 60-69 — Pegy Zeeb, Port Angeles, first, 4:20:49.53.
Goat Run Half-Marathon, Wave 1
- Male 0-17 — Cody Jensen, Kingston, first, 2:24:40.70.
- Male 18-29 — Andrew Bouchot, Bremerton, first, 1:38:58.29.
- Female 18-29 — Brooke Pucciarelli, Sequim, first, 2:01:52.96.
- Male 30-39 — Chris Dorn, Olympic, first, 1:47:37.99; Dan Hall, Port Angeles, second, 1:49:55.25.
- Female 30-39 — Robin Greene, Lacey, first, 1:52:59.94; Heidi Austin, Sequim, third, 2:06:01.94; Chelsea Larsen, Port Angeles, fourth, 2:08:21.76; Kristin Kirschner, Port Angeles, eighth, 2:34:24.74; Amber Hopkins, Port Angeles, 17th, 3:11:25.12.
- Male 40-49 — Justin Mortensen, Seattle, first, 1:58:48.67; Alex Baker, Port Angeles, seventh, 3:34:19.83.
- Female 40-49 — Jessica Crump, Mercer Island, first, 2:08:00.72; Katrin Junghannsroyack, Port Angeles, 10th, 2:23:09.37; Jennifer Wendell, Port Angeles, 15th, 2:38:07.64; Melissa Lashua Gault, Sequim, 16th, 2:38:21.44; Helen Lovejoy, Port Angeles, 18th, 2:42:33.04; Stephanie Stone, Port Angeles, 19th, 2:43:42.43; Kori Malone, Port Angeles, 20th, 2:52:01.05; Trupti Thatte-Maupin, Port Angeles, 23rd, 2:54:56.87; Trisha Haggerty, Port Angeles, 26th, 3:08:41.36; Barbara Silva, Port Angeles, 27th, 3:08:44.31.
- Male 50-59 — Tim Branham, Port Angeles, first, 2:11:54.23.
- Female 50-59 — Katherine Beirne, Port Angeles, first, 1:56:44.08; Christine Fadden, Port Angeles, third, 2:17:02.55; Jessica Baccus, Port Angeles, sixth, 2:44:29.83; Mickey Branham, Port Angeles, ninth, 2:54:35.78; Laurie Johnson-Driese, Port Angeles, 10th, 3:07:45.37.
- Male 60-69 — Mark Harding, Surrey, B.C., first, 1:43:45.63.
- Female 60-69 — Gay Hunter, Port Angeles, first, 3:28:27.68.
Goat Run Half-Marathon, Wave 2
- Male 18-29 — Gain Hagenau, Seattle, first, 2:05:38.35.
- Female 18-29 — Elena Putt, Chicago, first, 1:49:32.93; Alysa Martinez, Port Angeles, eighth, 2:14:50.82.
- Male 30-39 — Ron Coleman, Aberdeen, first, 1:54:19.51; Matt Stewart, Port Townsend, third, 2:05:19.08.
- Female 30-39 — Jacalyn Gross, Marysville, first, 1:38:26.89; Jamie Haney, Port Townsend, seventh, 2:04:45.32; Emily Stewart, Port Townsend, ninth, 2:21:44.88.
- Male 40-49 — Thaddeus Baker, Sherman Oaks, Calif., first, 1:59:51.50.
- Female 40-49 — Tammi Dagenais, El Dorado Hills, Calif., first, 2:03:51.01; Melanie Ratliff, Port Angeles, third, 2:17:32.28.
- Male 50-59 — Steve Hardy, Bainbridge, first, 2:02:00.91.
- Female 50-59 — Alex Noftz, Sequim, first, 3:03:36.63.
- Female 60-69 — Debbe Walsh, Port Orchard, first, 3:03:09.76.
- Male 70+ — Pete Noftz, Sequim, first, 2:35:22.06.