PORT TOWNSEND — Eighteen people filed for 17 positions for the Nov. 2 general election during the first day of candidate filings in Jefferson County.
As of 4:30 p.m. Monday, the only contested race was between incumbent Ron Helmonds and Glenn T. Clemens for Position 3 on the Port Ludlow Fire District No. 3 board.
The weeklong candidate filing period continues until 4:30 p.m. Friday.
The Port of Port Townsend has two of its three commissioner positions up for election, and District 3 incumbent Peter Hanke is running for a third four-year term. Carol Hasse is running for the District 2 position, according to VoteWa.gov.
The Port Townsend City Council has three positions up for election this year. On Monday, Ben Thomas filed to run for Position 1, Aislinn Diamanti filed for Position 2 and Tyler Myles Vega filed for Position 5.
Jennifer James-Wilson is running for reelection for a fourth term for the Position 4 at-large seat on the Port Townsend School Board.
Roxanne Hudson has filed to run for the director of the District 1 position on the Chimacum School Board.
Shirley Towne filed to run for the director at-large Position 5 of the Brinnon School Board.
Incumbent Kees Kolff is running for Position 2 on the East Jefferson County Hospital District 2 (Jefferson Healthcare Hospital) board, while incumbent Mari Dressler is running for Position 4.
Incumbent Nikki Hay is running for Position 2 of the West Jefferson County Hospital 1 board.
Incumbent Richard Moore running for fire commissioner, Position 1, for Brinnon Fire District No. 4.
Incumbent Ford Kessler running for fire commissioner, Position 2, for Discovery Bay Fire District No. 5.
Jeff Nicholas filed to run for fire commissioner, Position 1, for Sequim-area Fire District 3.
The Sequim School District board races include Rachel Tax for director at-large Position 4 and Patrice Johnston running for director of District 2.
Candidates can register online, by mail or in person, said Quinn Grewell, Jefferson County election coordinator.
Filing is available online 24 hours a day during the filing period beginning at 8:30 a.m. today and ending at 4:30 p.m. Friday at https://voter.votewa.gov/candidatefiling/candidate login.aspx.
Candidates must be registered to vote in their districts, provide a valid email address and pay filing fees.
When filing by mail, candidates must send the candidate declaration and filing fee to Jefferson County Elections, P.O. Box 563, Port Townsend, WA 98368. The documents must be in the county Auditor’s Office by 4:30 p.m. Friday, Grewell said.
Declaration of Candidacy forms and filing fee information can be found at https://www.co.jefferson.wa.us/1268/For-Candidates.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Grewell discourages people from registering in person, but appointments are available by calling 360-385-9119 or 360-385-9117.
Here are office holders whose seats will be on the Nov. 2 ballot in both Clallam and Jefferson counties:
• Sequim School Board (Clallam, Jefferson): Brandino Gibson, Brian Kuh.
• Quillayute Valley School Board (Clallam, Jefferson): Kevin Hinchen, Ron Hurn.
• Forks Fire District 1 (Clallam, Jefferson): Anthony (Tony) Romberg.
• Sequim-area Fire District 3 (Clallam, Jefferson): G. Michael Gawley.
Here are office holders whose seats will be on the Nov. 2 ballot in Jefferson County:
• Port Townsend City Council: Michelle Sandoval, Ariel Speser, Pam Adams.
• Port of Port Townsend: Bill Putney, Hanke.
• Port Townsend School Board: James-Wilson, Constance Welch.
• Chimacum School Board: Sarah Martin, Mickey Nagy, Kathryn Lamka.
• Quilcene School Board: Paul Mahan, Cindy Pollard.
• Brinnon School Board: Mary Fickett, Shirley Towne.
• Queets-Clearwater School board: Sandra Wells-Kalama, Dorothy J. Cook, Kristeen Mowitch.
• East Jefferson County Hospital District 2 (Jefferson Healthcare Hospital): Kolff and Dressler.
• West Jefferson County Hospital District 1: Hay and Carol Jean Young.
• East Jefferson Fire District 1: Deborah Stinson, George Randles.
• Quilcene Fire District 2: Melody Bacchus.
• Port Ludlow Fire District 3: Ronald Helmonds.
• Brinnon Fire District 4: Richard B. Moore, Ken McEdwards; Position 3 vacant.
• Discovery Bay Fire District 5: Kessler.
• Clearwater Fire District 7: Steven Martin, Eugene Bunker, Wayne Sisco.
• Coyle-Thorndyke Park and Recreation District 1: Larry Robinson.
• Paradise Bay Water District 1: Cal White.
• Brinnon Water District 2: James Boyd.
• Brinnon Cemetery District 1: Myrtle Corey.
• Gardiner Cemetery District 3: Jim Hueter; Diane (Movius) Martin.
• Quilcene Cemetery District 2: Laurie K. Neuenschwander.
Jefferson County reporter Zach Jablonski can be reached at 360-385-2335, ext. 5, or at email@example.com.