State Rep. Mike Chapman picked up two challengers for his Position 1 Legislative District 24 seat on Monday, the first day of candidate filing week for the Nov. 8 general election.
Republican Matthew Rainwater of Port Angeles and Sue Forde of Sequim, both Republicans, filed their candidacies in the race as did Chapman, a Port Angeles Democrat.
The three-way race will be a contest on the primary election ballot on Aug. 2. When three or more file for a position, then the top-two primary election will narrow the contest to two candidates for the general election.
Republican Brian Pruiett also filed as a District 24 candidate, eyeing the seat now held by Steve Tharinger of Port Townsend.
District 24 includes Clallam and Jefferson counties and part of Grays Harbor County.
U.S. Rep. Derek Kilmer, a Tacoma Democrat, faces opposition from Elizabeth Kreiselmaier, a Republican from Gig Harbor.
A contest for the November ballot has shaped up between the incumbent sheriff, Joe Nole, and Art Frank.
Filing on Monday was Marcia Kelbon, Republican, for the seat now held by Democrat Greg Brotherton. Brotherton has said he will seek re-election. Republican Jon S. Cooke also has filed for the post with the state Public Disclosure Commission.
Other Monday filings are:
• Jeff Chapman, incumbent county assessor, a Democrat.
• Brenda Huntingford, no party preference, for the county auditor seat now held by Democrat Rose Ann Carroll. Carroll has said she will run for re-election.
• James M. Kennedy, incumbent prosecutor and coroner, a Democrat.
• Stacie Prada, incumbent treasurer, a Democrat.
• Mindy Walker, incumbent District Court judge.
• Jeff Randall, incumbent Public Utility District, District 1 seat.
Filings by mail were accepted beginning May 2. In-person filings at the Jefferson County Auditor’s Office at Jefferson County Courthouse, 1820 Jefferson St., Port Townsend, are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day through Friday, while online filings will be accepted between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
To see who has filed, and for other information, see https://co.jefferson.wa.us/1268/For-Candidate-Filing.