PORT TOWNSEND — A fire in a furnace dust trap sent smoke throughout a house but was quickly extinguished, reported East Jefferson Fire Rescue.
A family on Kruse Street in Ocean Grove awakened at 3 a.m. Wednesday to a screaming smoke alarm and smelled smoke in the house, according to East Jefferson Fire Rescue.
Firefighters determined the cause of the smoke was an overheating furnace dust trap where collected dust had caused a small fire, they said.
After examining the home to ensure there were no other reasons for the smoke, firefighters ventilated the structure to remove the smoke, they said.
“It was fortunate this was minor incident,” said Assistant Chief Brian Tracer.
“There are two lessons here. First, smoke alarms are important and can save lives. Second, all of us need to include in our periodic maintenance schedule cleaning our furnace dust trap, dryer lint filter, chimneys, and any other exhausts where heat may be vented.”