PORT ANGELES — Crews from Clallam Fire District No. 2 extinguished a fire that had fully consumed an RV early Sunday morning.
When crews arrived at 2105 U.S. Highway 101 west of Port Angeles, they discovered the fifth-wheel RV just west of the former Olympic Peninsula Humane Society building was fully involved.
Assistant Chief Dan Huff said that when firefighters arrived there was uncertainty as to whether the RV was occupied, but it was quickly determined that it was vacant.
“Because it had power running to it the way it did and a hose to provide water to it, we operated under the assumption there could have been someone inside,” he said.
Huff said firefighters believe that the extension cord powering the RV might have been the cause of the fire.
“The best we could determine the direct cause was from the electrical cord plugged into the RV providing power from the building,” he said.
He said firefighters had contained the fire within half an hour and that the fire was completely out within two hours.
Firefighters said the RV and the adjacent property, which was also unoccupied at the time of the fire, belong to David Waddell.
Firefighters contained the fire to the RV, which was a total loss. Units cleared the scene at 3:16 a.m.
Reporter Jesse Major can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 56250, or at [email protected] dailynews.com.